Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Raw brand - Any further recommendations?

S

Super_Nova1

Hello everyone,

Before we introduced raw food to Nova, the plethora of information was overwhelming.
I wasn't a verified member on this site yet, so I couldn't ask any questions, but I tried to gather a basic understanding.

I went to a local pet store in town and asked questions, but they would say anything to push their brands.
After looking over the many choices we decided to go with "Big Country Raw."
They seemed to have the most products in the fridge.
A wide variety of choices of different raw food.

What we bought to start was 4lb of raw chicken
Chicken Blend
(A pure ground blend of chicken meat and bone with chicken liver.)

Raw Salmon.
Salmon blend
(Canadian Salmon)

We knew we needed Taurine, so we also picked up
This

I thawed both products to about 60% in the fridge overnight.
They were still icy but thawed enough so I could divy the products out.

The directions on the box say to feed by weight.
Nova is 16 weeks as of today.
And weighs 7.4 lbs.
I took a tablespoon of the chicken and a tablespoon of the salmon, mixed in 1/4 -1/2 tsp of the taurine
and put in in a Ziploc sandwich bag.
Then I put all the individual bags into a freezer bag and refroze everything.

Now about an hour before feeding time, we fill the sink up with cold water and thaw a sandwich bag in it.

Nova gets fed 3 times a day:
First thing in the morning ( 7am ) Nova gets the 2 tablespoons of raw chicken and salmon mixed with a small layer of Blue Wilderness Kitten Kibble
(This brand will be changing at the advice of an SCC member, to what im unsure of still)

At lunch, (Noon) He gets the Blue wilderness kibble mixed with half a can of Blue Wilderness canned kitten food.

Then for dinner, ( 6 pm ) Nova gets the raw mixed with the kibble again.

After 15 -20 minutes with the raw food, the bowl gets taken away regardless if it's empty or not.
Often, If he doesn't eat all his dinner, around 8 pm or so we give him about 1/4 cup of kibble that he can pick at overnight if he desires.

We have not found a treat that Nova will eat yet,
I've spent at least $100 testing different products out:
Freeze-dried chicken liver, freeze-dried chicken, freeze-dried salmon (Very stinky)
I've even tried giving him those temptations.
Nothing! Zero desire for them.

Anyways, I figured I would ask if there is anything above that I should change or add?

Thanks!

Ninja-n-Bear

Site Supporter
Try freeze dried chicken hearts for treats, they come whole, or in pieces. Nomnomnom!

Some good pre-made raw brands (that you don’t have to add stuff to!)

Small Batch
Rawr
Primal

As far as feeding recommendation goes, those are based on “normal” cats. Until he is 5mos, feed him as much as he wants to eat. After that, he still may eat more than the feeding guide recommends.

DumaLove

Site Supporter
Staff member
Kittens should be fed as much as they will eat until a year old. Fed in multiple small meals throughout the day. 3 times a day should be fine.