Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Savannah destruction

LuraLisa

Savannah Super Cat
Is it just my cat or are all savannas this way. My savanna is six years old and I have probably spent as much on stuff that she has destroyed or broken that I spent on purchasing her. The latest thing is that I came home today and found my digital photo frame worth $150 on the floor broken. Not only that I have had to remove carpet and replace with tile not once but twice. She also knocked off my iPad off onto the floor and broke the screen… I could go on and on. Is this normal? I’m about tired of it, and I am about ready to get rid of her. I just moved into a new home and she is already peeing in the corners of the carpet among other things.

Vito

Site Supporter
Is it just my cat or are all savannas this way. My savanna is six years old and I have probably spent as much on stuff that she has destroyed or broken that I spent on purchasing her. The latest thing is that I came home today and found my digital photo frame worth $150 on the floor broken. Not only that I have had to remove carpet and replace with tile not once but twice. She also knocked off my iPad off onto the floor and broke the screen… I could go on and on. Is this normal? I’m about tired of it, and I am about ready to get rid of her. I just moved into a new home and she is already peeing in the corners of the carpet among other things.
Oh dear...... I think the majority of Savannah owners will agree that nothing is sacred to our four legged friends in that everything they can get their mischievous paws on is fair game and seen as a toy for them. We've all been through it. Simple answer to this is don't leave things lying in their reach if you don't want it damaged. Sometimes though it's easier said than done and I've forgotten to move something only to find it broken or damaged, it's what Savannah's do, their curious and mischievous, and I think it's fair to say if your overly houseproud, then a Savannah is possibly not the cat for you.
As for peeing, that's unpleasant for sure, house moves especially can cause stress to cats, perhaps you could try reinforcement training by keeping her in the one area with her litter tray, ie/ bathroom or kitchen. I've done this very successfully over the years. I hope you can resolve the issue.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Agreed with Vito that the breakage of things is a high energy cat thing, they tend to jump up to levels a more sedate cat might not bother, hence more things can go flying.

As to peeing on the carpet, that is simply a cat thing...most cases can be resolved when you work out WHY your cat is peeing inappropriately and then work on strategies to resolve it. https://catbehaviorassociates.com/?s=cat+peeing has a lot of ideas. You can also email info@svrescue.com for advice on problems before you come to the point of "getting rid of her". Please do reach out to us before then, and please allow us to help rehome her if you decide on that direction.

Moggieslegacy

Savannah Super Cat
I found this Jackson Galaxy video about bored cats interesting as it describes some of the mischief my F6 constantly gets into... And includes breaking things. Maybe some of the suggestions might help ?

LuraLisa

Savannah Super Cat
Oh dear...... I think the majority of Savannah owners will agree that nothing is sacred to our four legged friends in that everything they can get their mischievous paws on is fair game and seen as a toy for them. We've all been through it. Simple answer to this is don't leave things lying in their reach if you don't want it damaged. Sometimes though it's easier said than done and I've forgotten to move something only to find it broken or damaged, it's what Savannah's do, their curious and mischievous, and I think it's fair to say if your overly houseproud, then a Savannah is possibly not the cat for you.
As for peeing, that's unpleasant for sure, house moves especially can cause stress to cats, perhaps you could try reinforcement training by keeping her in the one area with her litter tray, ie/ bathroom or kitchen. I've done this very successfully over the years. I hope you can resolve the issue.
Thank you for the info. I’m just so frustrated. I just thought by now at age 6 she would get better, not worse.

LuraLisa

Savannah Super Cat
Agreed with Vito that the breakage of things is a high energy cat thing, they tend to jump up to levels a more sedate cat might not bother, hence more things can go flying.

As to peeing on the carpet, that is simply a cat thing...most cases can be resolved when you work out WHY your cat is peeing inappropriately and then work on strategies to resolve it. https://catbehaviorassociates.com/?s=cat+peeing has a lot of ideas. You can also email info@svrescue.com for advice on problems before you come to the point of "getting rid of her". Please do reach out to us before then, and please allow us to help rehome her if you decide on that direction.
thank you, I will definitely check out those sites. Whatever it takes

Vito

Site Supporter
Thank you for the info. I’m just so frustrated. I just thought by now at age 6 she would get better, not worse.
Really hope you can find a solution to her peeing, I know it can be frustrating and very stressful and getting to the bottom of it all may take some time, cats are very complex beings and it can sometimes take a while to figure out what is upsetting or unsettling them. I hope you can work through it with her and don't have to re-home her. I've experienced this problem in the past and it is in my experience that confining her to a smaller area/room for a while with her litter tray can help to reinforce toileting habits. I must say that this is just in my personal experience in the past. I did a lot of work in cat shelters where cats had been surrendered for such habits and I would always give this advice to New owners, (once UTI's had been ruled out) usually with good results.
Whilst the cat is in confinement it's still very important to give them lots of attention and stimulation /toys etc. Cats do pick up on our stress so being calm around her is important, don't scold her. Would really like to hear how you get on. Good luck

LuraLisa

Savannah Super Cat
Really hope you can find a solution to her peeing, I know it can be frustrating and very stressful and getting to the bottom of it all may take some time, cats are very complex beings and it can sometimes take a while to figure out what is upsetting or unsettling them. I hope you can work through it with her and don't have to re-home her. I've experienced this problem in the past and it is in my experience that confining her to a smaller area/room for a while with her litter tray can help to reinforce toileting habits. I must say that this is just in my personal experience in the past. I did a lot of work in cat shelters where cats had been surrendered for such habits and I would always give this advice to New owners, (once UTI's had been ruled out) usually with good results.
Whilst the cat is in confinement it's still very important to give them lots of attention and stimulation /toys etc. Cats do pick up on our stress so being calm around her is important, don't scold her. Would really like to hear how you get on. Good luck
Thank you for your response. I have found that a lot of times she will hold it while I am away and when I get home it seems like that’s when she will do her business. It’s like she waits on me to get home to poop. But as for the peeing I have been giving her treats when she pees in the litter box. I think that has helped. I also bought her a calming collar and that seems to be helping as well. She is a piece of work and I think she is really bonded to me and punishes me when I am away too long. In the past she has even peed on the pillows on my bed.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Thank you for your response. I have found that a lot of times she will hold it while I am away and when I get home it seems like that’s when she will do her business. It’s like she waits on me to get home to poop. But as for the peeing I have been giving her treats when she pees in the litter box. I think that has helped. I also bought her a calming collar and that seems to be helping as well. She is a piece of work and I think she is really bonded to me and punishes me when I am away too long. In the past she has even peed on the pillows on my bed.
One thought here is that pooping takes a greater level of relaxation than peeing, so if she waits for you to be home to poop, it makes me think what has her so uptight and anxious when you aren't there... what has her worried. Where is her litterbox located? Is it a large open one? What litter have you tried? Is she an only pet and is the home silent when you are gone then?