Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

water for cat

James Singleton

Savannah Child
Is it a good idea to feed a cat tap water? I live in Maryland and it seems our water has a lot of chemicals in it. What kind of water is best for cat? I imagine even if you give the cat bottled water, it might miss out on certain minerals that might be found in tap water.

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
I've been giving cats Lake Michigan water for 40 years. No adverse effects noted. My SV's prefer to drink it straight from the faucet.

Tort518

Savannah Super Cat
Is it a good idea to feed a cat tap water? I live in Maryland and it seems our water has a lot of chemicals in it. What kind of water is best for cat? I imagine even if you give the cat bottled water, it might miss out on certain minerals that might be found in tap water.

I am in Maryland as well and don't know of any direct negative affects from the tap water.

scorpius

Chirps & Massive Headbutts
I doubt it really matters...but with that in mind I actually just buy gallon jugs of bottled water at the grocery store and empty those into my Glacier Point water fountain. Just feel it's slightly better water quality than tap water, although, yes it's missing some minerals but also some chlorine, etc. I try to supplement any minerals in their milk and vitamins which I feed them separately.

frances

Savannah Super Cat
Do your cats drink a lot? My one does not drink at all. Is it bad?
She is on wet food ,does not want to eat her biscuits,this is probably why...?

scorpius

Chirps & Massive Headbutts
Mine, 2 male SV's, probably go thru 1 pint of water in the Glacier Point fountain per week...about that I'd say. But they do get a lot of water from wet food...so maybe that's the reason. I still believe that by cooling my water it does make them drink more (the fountain cools the water by about 13-15 F below room temp).

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
Frances, I found my SV's drink more water than my DSH. And they do eat mostly wet food. Cats are not big drinkers like dogs.
What's a biscuit for a cat? Is that a dry cat treat? (I've been to the UK so I know we have slightly different names for things like potato chips or crisps.)

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
I remember that now, your biscuits are not our biscuits. And I have to thank the waiter in the pub for discouraging me from ordering a hamburger. He said Americans have a far different idea when it comes to hamburgers.