Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Help me with my Sbt Savannah. Please?

Mrs.CC

Savannah Super Cat
Triton came pre walking jacket trained from the breeder so never had to deal with that, I'm sure with some practice your cat will be sporting her jacket proudly.

Last edited:

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Don't leave the harness on overnight if you've already seen her do things like get her mouth stuck...even if you think you've fixed that issue, it is best if you only leave it on her when you can supervise her imho...

Brandy DW

Missing Neka, Loving Sabriel, Nakaia, & Trance
tri smug: I was right! She let me cuddle her in my arms and she even sat in my lap for like 2 minutes! Granted not long, but still better than nothing. Then when I was playing with her she kept rubbing against my legs. So even though earlier she was not happy about my putting the harness on her, I'm forgiven. ;)

Brandy DW

So today when I first got home I thought I'd lost everything with her. She'd knocked poo out of her litter box again. She wouldn't let me pick her up, she'd run from me, and she's rarely let me pet her. I was like what in the world!! Played with her with her pole toys, and then left her to eat. I stayed away for a bit after that because I didn't think she wanted me around from how she acted when I got home. I played with her from about 5:30 to 6:00.

Then I went back down there at about 8:00 and she was all nuzzling up against my leg, and I'd sit down on the floor and she'd roll over and lay down right in front of me, sometimes right up against my leg. I played with her from about 8:00 to 9:30 and almost the entire time she was good. She nipped my toe once, this time I just kept petting her and she stopped and went back to playing with the mouse. When she was sitting on the couch I laid down so my face was about 6 inches from her, and I was up on one arm. Then I just petted her. When she looked like she was about to go for my hair, I put my hand on her paws and that seemed to stop her. Then I through the mouse again to keep her from getting bored.

I'm thinking she was just too hyper in the beginning when I got home was why she was running all over... maybe mixed with being mad at me for having her home all day alone. I don't know. I'm just happy that the night ended fairly well.

Now this last segment is a bit sensitive. You know how dogs sometimes sniff people's crotch area's and then you just push them away or whatever. Well it's been about 3 times now, when I'm sitting cross legged and Sabriel will be around me sniffing and she'll rub against my hands and knee's and be fine. Well when she comes in front of me sometime's she just walks past, that's what happens most of them. But the few time's where I think I'm potentially getting her interested in climbing into my lap, she'll sniff and half attack my crotch area (when I'm wearing pajama shorts). She doesn't do it with claws out, she doesn't bite me, but you can tell that there's something that has upset her. I wash/shower daily, I do not smell, and I've never had another animal (cat or dog) react to me this way. I do know that twice this past year I was on hormone drugs to get my cycle regular (tmi sorry!) but I don't think that - that could be causing her to have such a negative reaction. I mean she has to literally be almost in my lap before she get's weird. I've read of things like this happening before but don't know what causes it. Anyone have a clue of how I can make it better? I'm thinking this is also potentially why she get's half attack like - when she's on / or between my legs when I'm laying down. I don't know.
I'm befuddled.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Brandy, you need to RELAX...she is a kitten...kittens do weird things..smell weird things and eat weird things...they act crazy one minute and sane the next.

You need to let her have run of the house and stop worrying so much about what is going to happen to her...I had SEVEN kittens born here and they were all running around the house by 4 weeks of age...

You are going to drive yourself and Sabriel crazy :roflmao:

Brandy DW

Brandy, you need to RELAX...she is a kitten...kittens do weird things..smell weird things and eat weird things...they act crazy one minute and sane the next.

You need to let her have run of the house and stop worrying so much about what is going to happen to her...I had SEVEN kittens born here and they were all running around the house by 4 weeks of age...

You are going to drive yourself and Sabriel crazy :roflmao:

I kind of agree but I just wanna know what in the world is going on in that mind of hers. I feel that if only I could know what she was thinking I could make a lot of things easier for us both. I try to look at things from her point a view (as a cat, a kitten, height differences, etc) then put that perspective into how I play with her and interact with her. I am the type of person who want's to know things and it bugs me when I can't figure something out...

For the record I went crazy a long time ago :sneaky: --- but I'll try to relax so that I don't make my cat neurotic or something lol :roflmao:

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I think that you worked out the initial part of the behavior completely right...she's too excited to be petted or picked up and held when you first get home. She's been all by herself going stir crazy.

And that may contribute to the latter issue, she's bored and looking for something new, and apparently diving into your lap/crotch is it. I know that when we have kittens here, when I sit cross-legged on the floor, they'll pounce out at each other, and paw at each other under my legs and generally use me as some sort of kiddie play fort or something. I suspect it is something similar here.... I completely agree with paige that you need to chill and not worry so much and give Sabriel the run of the house and all will be much better...

Brandy DW

I'm still working on giving her run of the house. I've got the upstairs mostly cat proofed now, but have only let her upstairs twice since I said I would. The first time she took the toy I was throwing for her and went under the bed and just started wrestling with it herself under there. Then when she did come out, I tried getting the toy back so I could toss it for her and that worked for maybe 3 minutes. Then with my following her around she ended up going back downstairs.

2nd time she went after my computer cords. So rather than let her give herself a shock (which i've been told would not kill her) with biting through my power cord and costing me like 90 dollars because it's a mac laptop. I'm waiting till I can get some of that tubing that can go around wires before letting her up again.

I admit I could be better with it but she's got about 800 square feet to run around in when I'm home. Trust me when I'm down there with her she is not bored. It's just getting the upstairs completely cat proofed so we can be around each other all of the time.