Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Travelling through Canada

Grace

Savannah Super Cat
I found a website called the AIRS stands for automated something or other it had me choose country of origin and city of destination. It claimed to be able to tell you everything about traveling with your specific kind of animal but there was never any tab to choose a hybrid cat so I will just need to call the Canadian and U.S. borders see what they say .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grace

Savannah Super Cat
The passport is only required for certain animals, or animals that will be crossing borders often from what I read.

admin

Paige
Staff member
But the thing is you are just passing through... It should not be a problem... Especially with an f6

Grace

Savannah Super Cat
Not sure if you've looked at it, but they have a link for info on how to get your pet into Canada

Thanks for the link kristin! On the link it says for a cat over 3 months of age you need a rabies certificate and health certificate. That is a domestic cat so if he looks at all un-domestic at our time of travel that's where issues with officials could come in I guess? So much of it is just depending on who you meet at the border unfortunately.. I will call them in the next couple weeks and let you know what they say.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
I think it's best you call and find out exactly what you need for traveling short-term through Canada with your Savannah. I've traveled through Port Huron to Sarnia twice to pick up F6 kittens. I had NO problem at the border at all. The border guards were not interested in seeing the kittens nor the papers I had for them...including recent health certificate (good for 10 days), proof of current age-appropriate vaccines and purchase contracts...the border people were much more interested in finding out if I was bringing over fruit, booze, or other purchases from Ontario so I could pay them duty tax...importing or exporting a Savannah for sale or purchase into or from Canada is quite different than traveling through with a pet, however.

After making some phone calls and researching, if you are at all uncertain as to how easy or not it will be to travel with your Savannah across the two borders and back, I would choose the longer route to be safe, avoiding Canada travel completely. As was stated above, you may get different responses depending on who you speak to about traveling through, and a completely different one with another person...or it may be easier on everyone to find a good and trusted pet-sitter and not take your boy along with you and avoid the possible hassles you might encounter...

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Thanks for the link kristin! On the link it says for a cat over 3 months of age you need a rabies certificate and health certificate. That is a domestic cat so if he looks at all un-domestic at our time of travel that's where issues with officials could come in I guess? So much of it is just depending on who you meet at the border unfortunately.. I will call them in the next couple weeks and let you know what they say.

Please remember that Savannahs ARE a domestic breed of cat from F1 to F200 generations, and considered as domestics by both TICA and the USDA....your F6 Savannah is a domestic breed of kitty :)

Nancy&bongo

Savannah Super Cat
You know, I'm not sure of other generations, but I stay away from Rabi shots! Neither of my F-1 Boys has ever had a Rabi vaccination. Theres also other medications I steer clear of and one is Ketamine for anesthesia. They could possibly not wake up or have a reaction to it.

DumaLove

Site Supporter
Staff member
Rabies vaccines are safe for any generation Savannah. Some places it is required by law, like where I live. I wouldn't risk NOT having a rabies vaccine, especially my earlier gen cats. If they happened to bite someone and did not have to rabies vaccine they would immediately be put down if the person that got bitten wanted that. And with an earlier gen cat I think people would be quicker to make a stink about it.

I do however give a rabies nosode prior to getting the vaccine.