Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Tritrichamonas (TF)

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
It might go or it might not. The issue with not diagnosing and treating is that chronic diarrhea predisposes a cat to developing IBD. So by not getting rid of it you may end up with a lifelong issue.

I don't know what a PFC is, but I don't think you need to go to Europe any longer for the ronidazole...sounds like the vet might be a bit behind the times. http://www.wedgewoodpetrx.com/items/ronidazole-capsule.html
Any side effects cease if you stop the drug so although it is concerning with careful monitoring the cat should be fine. Sounds to me like they don't have any experience with testing and treating, and don't want to so have tried to put you off from pursuing it.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Additionally, didn't you say that Juliet still drips when she plays? And crouches as if in pain? I don't think I could leave a cat to "grow out of" something when they are in discomfort... not when there IS a treatment that works. Also, it might not be TF and without doing the IDEXX test you won't know that.

Sue

Savannah Super Cat
The drug to treat it is a compounded drug that we ordered from Diamondback Pharmacy in Arizona. Cost was about $45.00. It was called Ronidazole. On page 8 of An Owners Guide to Diagnosis and Treatment of Cats infected with Tritrichomonas Foetus from www.jodygookin.com is a link to pharmacies that the drug can be obtained from. The other research that I found helpful was from Purina Pro Club update vol 6 No. 3 July 2007 And. Www.showcatsonline.com Tritrichomonas Foetus: our cattery's. Experience by Tracy Fasciana of Abayomi Abyssinians. In my research, it said that it usually subsides in 2 years but I was afraid that if Ibred Tink it could be passed on and did not want to go through that hassle. I am sure that the cattery I got her from was infected with it because she admitted she had sick cats a month later and wanted me to take a sick cat that she claimed had Giardia. TF is often misdiagnosed as Giardia and drugs used to treat Giardia have no effect on TF. The lousy breeder has never had her cats tested for TF, refuses to give me her TICA paperwork, ignores my phone calls and emails, has moved twice. So far all attempts have failed. The breeder was advertised on savannah cat . Com but no longer is. Also advertised on the various websites that savannah cat chat has warned people about. I thought I had done my homework and found a reputable breeder but I was taken. I love her, she is a great cat and I now have the second SE Director working on my problem. At the time I got her this site did not exist. If it had, I might not be an owner without papers thus I can not breed or show. Sue

admin

Paige
Staff member
Sue, that is really terrible. I'm sure your SE director is on it ;) I wish we had been here then as well and could have saved you all these problems and heartache.

AlphaZ

Savannah Adult
It might go or it might not. The issue with not diagnosing and treating is that chronic diarrhea predisposes a cat to developing IBD. So by not getting rid of it you may end up with a lifelong issue.

I don't know what a PFC is, but I don't think you need to go to Europe any longer for the ronidazole...sounds like the vet might be a bit behind the times. http://www.wedgewoodpetrx.com/items/ronidazole-capsule.html
Any side effects cease if you stop the drug so although it is concerning with careful monitoring the cat should be fine. Sounds to me like they don't have any experience with testing and treating, and don't want to so have tried to put you off from pursuing it.

LOL, sorry I meant to say PCR, too many acronyms in my head. You bring up a excellent point, she already has a balding behind, and loosened anal muscles, not to mention the emotional toll this has taken on her. Thank heavens for you guys' support, I probably would have put it off. But will continue to pursue this. I'm in Southern California and we have tons of vets, unfortunately most of them are money hungry and rarely have a genuine concern for an animal. I'm sure there are some that will have experience, considering the rate of infection in purebreds.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Well, we have several people here in SoCal, so someone should be able to refer you...glad to hear you will pursue this.

AlphaZ

Savannah Adult
The drug to treat it is a compounded drug that we ordered from Diamondback Pharmacy in Arizona. Cost was about $45.00. It was called Ronidazole. On page 8 of An Owners Guide to Diagnosis and Treatment of Cats infected with Tritrichomonas Foetus from www.jodygookin.com is a link to pharmacies that the drug can be obtained from. The other research that I found helpful was from Purina Pro Club update vol 6 No. 3 July 2007 And. Www.showcatsonline.com Tritrichomonas Foetus: our cattery's. Experience by Tracy Fasciana of Abayomi Abyssinians. In my research, it said that it usually subsides in 2 years but I was afraid that if Ibred Tink it could be passed on and did not want to go through that hassle. I am sure that the cattery I got her from was infected with it because she admitted she had sick cats a month later and wanted me to take a sick cat that she claimed had Giardia. TF is often misdiagnosed as Giardia and drugs used to treat Giardia have no effect on TF. The lousy breeder has never had her cats tested for TF, refuses to give me her TICA paperwork, ignores my phone calls and emails, has moved twice. So far all attempts have failed. The breeder was advertised on savannah cat . Com but no longer is. Also advertised on the various websites that savannah cat chat has warned people about. I thought I had done my homework and found a reputable breeder but I was taken. I love her, she is a great cat and I now have the second SE Director working on my problem. At the time I got her this site did not exist. If it had, I might not be an owner without papers thus I can not breed or show. Sue

So sorry to hear about your breeder situation. Who was it? You should warn people by publicizing her name, she may still be breeding.

Since you administered Ronidazole to Tink, could you tell me how it went? Do you have other cats that needed to be medicated or quarantined? Because if Juliet has it, I'll test Isis and medicate her simultaneously. Having given Juliet Flagyl a few months back, which also boasts possible neurotoxicity, and the poor thing was foaming at the mouth when I gave it to her the first time, I figure Ronidazole can't be much worse.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
The lousy breeder has never had her cats tested for TF, refuses to give me her TICA paperwork, ignores my phone calls and emails, has moved twice. So far all attempts have failed. The breeder was advertised on savannah cat . Com but no longer is. Also advertised on the various websites that savannah cat chat has warned people about. I thought I had done my homework and found a reputable breeder but I was taken. I love her, she is a great cat and I now have the second SE Director working on my problem. At the time I got her this site did not exist. If it had, I might not be an owner without papers thus I can not breed or show. Sue
I'm so sorry you've had that bad experience (despite the lovely cat this is overall disappointing I know)... I hope the SE Director can help you. It's disappointing when you think you have done the research and think the breeder is reputable for that to happen :-(

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
LOL, sorry I meant to say PCR, too many acronyms in my head. You bring up a excellent point, she already has a balding behind, and loosened anal muscles, not to mention the emotional toll this has taken on her. Thank heavens for you guys' support, I probably would have put it off. But will continue to pursue this. I'm in Southern California and we have tons of vets, unfortunately most of them are money hungry and rarely have a genuine concern for an animal. I'm sure there are some that will have experience, considering the rate of infection in purebreds.
I just suggested to Paige we have a place for those of us that are happy with our vets can list them as recommendations. A good vet is a TREASURE, and I would keep looking until you find one that is suitable. Maybe let us know where in SoCal you are and someone might know a good vet for you to try out...imho it isn't as important that they know what a Savannah is (mine didn't 11 years ago when I got my first Savannah), they just need to be willing to learn.