Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

2 Week Old Kitten Has Eye Discharge

carolina griego

Savannah Super Cat
I have 3 F5 kittens they are 2 weeks old, I check them daily but today I notice one had eye discharge. I cleaned it off with a cloth with warm water, after cleaning one of the eyes that had the most discharge looks a little smaller. The kittens just opened their eyes about 36 hours ago. Can it be that she is sick from a cold( I turn on a small heater for them a night every 30 minutes), eye infection, should I wait it out, and would it be a good idea to take her to the vet(is she too small)? I will greatly apreciate any help.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
There are many things this could possibly be - an infection passed from mom during the delivery, something she passed on by grooming them, or just an irritated eye. I would watch it for another 24 hours and if it continues to drain call your vet. He will most likely want you to bring the kitten in, but there is a possibility that he will be willing to prescribe eyedrops or antibiotics without seeing it, knowing how fragile its immune system is at this time. Be sure to be prepared to give him all the info he needs: one or both eyes, clear or colored discharge, any change in behavior or activity of the kitten (e.g., not nursing well, losing weight), etc.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
As Patti says, watch and make a call in the next 24 hours. It's important to be aware how quickly a small kitten can fail.... You mention you turn the heater on for 30 minutes a night...it's really important when kittens are small to make sure they stay warm, otherwise they have to use too much of their own energy keeping warm enough! Consider a heating pad for them, or keep the room they are in at a good temperature to make sure.

Its also great to have a trusted vet when you breed cats, so that you can possibly get them to give you antibiotics and eyedrops without having to risk the little ones with a trip to the vet hospital... and as Patti says, the more detailed info you can go to your vet with, the better!

carolina griego

Savannah Super Cat
As Patti says, watch and make a call in the next 24 hours. It's important to be aware how quickly a small kitten can fail.... You mention you turn the heater on for 30 minutes a night...it's really important when kittens are small to make sure they stay warm, otherwise they have to use too much of their own energy keeping warm enough! Consider a heating pad for them, or keep the room they are in at a good temperature to make sure.

Its also great to have a trusted vet when you breed cats, so that you can possibly get them to give you antibiotics and eyedrops without having to risk the little ones with a trip to the vet hospital... and as Patti says, the more detailed info you can go to your vet with, the better!
Thanks for the help Patti and Brigitte its now been almost 12 hours and shes still getting discharge, Im going to call the vet. The heater I have its the ones that look like a fan I have a timer on, it goes on and off every 30 minutes from 10 pm to 10am. Where can I purchase a heating pad?

Trish Allearz

You can purchase heating pads most anywhere- but you need to ensure it's one that doesn't turn off every 2 hours or that's a major hassle!

I'd seriously call the vet and ask to speak to him personally and ask for meds. Really- there is NOTHING he's going to see in person at this age that makes it necessary to bring her in for an exam. He won't examine her. He'll look at her eye, say, "Yep, it's infected" and send you what meds he believes are appropriate. So I would ask if he'd just prescribe them over the phone this time- because she is a newborn with a fragile system.

Is the room temp changing? From day to night? If it is, then I'd change over to a room heater that goes on and off only when it falls below XX degrees. With newborns, I like to keep the area around 80ish degrees. It is way too hot for me, but it's perfect for them.

carolina griego

Savannah Super Cat
Thanks again to everyone I got her an ointment from the vet today she looks better, I didnt want to risk it. I also bought a heating pad (Sunbeam Heating Pad) it has a optional feature to turn off after two hours and has 4 heat settings, but on the safety instructions it says "3.Do not use on an infant or animal, 13.Place pad on top off and not under the part of the body needing heating". Im thinking all heating pads will have similar warnings, should I avoid using it or will it be okay?

Trish Allearz

yep. Ignore it. Just make sure you have room for kittens to move
To a cooler section if needed in nursing box.
Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I usually put the heating pad under part of the nesting box, this way the babies can move on or off it per their comfort level. I usually find that setting it at one (the lowest) or 2 is adequate for the kittens. I also usually cover it with a blanket or towel - or put it underneath the nesting box, so that they don't have direct contact with it.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Thanks again to everyone I got her an ointment from the vet today she looks better, I didnt want to risk it. I also bought a heating pad (Sunbeam Heating Pad) it has a optional feature to turn off after two hours and has 4 heat settings, but on the safety instructions it says "3.Do not use on an infant or animal, 13.Place pad on top off and not under the part of the body needing heating". Im thinking all heating pads will have similar warnings, should I avoid using it or will it be okay?

I put the heating pad under the crate if I use it...but I prefer to heat the room like Trish mentions...