Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

6 month old F4 Savannah biting/sucking/licking tail

Nsarno87

Savannah Super Cat
Our 6 month old savannah won't stop sucking and licking the tip of her tail. This weekend she trapped herself in a drawer for like an hour and a half when we went out to dinner and came home and found her and her tail was wet. It dried and she just keeps redoing it now. The other weird thing is we got her this new toy a few days before she got stuck in the drawer and she sucked the wings just like her tail but then stopped and now she's just doing it to her tail only. Can I put bitter apple or something on it to make it taste bad or is that a bad idea? We've been trying to distract her and play w/ her when we see her trying to do it but we don't always notice... And sometimes even when we play with her she will start doing it randomly.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Is she doing it continually or just sometimes...like for comfort when she's about to nap/sleep? Like if she were sucking a thumb?

I'm not sure this is a bad thing, or simply a quirk, to know if you need to be working on stopping the habit. IF she were doing it enough to cause harm to herself then definitely you'd want to stop it...

Nsarno87

Savannah Super Cat
She does it every day it's almost always continuously wet and it seems to be only when we're awake because when we wake up she has a dry tail. It's not like a thing before bed thing its almost like she is doing it playfully. I feel like it will eventually cause her harm like hair loss or infection because sometimes she even starts to chew it.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I don't know if eventually it will turn bad. I've heard of a couple cats that do suck on their tail tip and in no case did it turn into anything like that. Just a weird habit... I guess it might have the potential to turn into something more OCD-like....but not sure I personally would be that worried about it at this stage.

I don't like putting bitter compounds on the cat as they do groom themselves and by doing that it may make that unpleasant :-(

Nsarno87

Savannah Super Cat
Yeah I thought it might not be a good idea to use bitter apple for that reason but I just can't really think of anything else to curve the behavior.

Nsarno87

Savannah Super Cat
She's also doing more and more of it. When she first started it was maybe an inch now it's like 4 inches today the most it's been.

Jacq

Savannah Super Cat
I have an 8 year old F3 that has always and still does that. He does it to calm himself when he gets worked up. His tail tip is always either wet or crispy feeling. I have never tried to stop the behavior. I don't see any harm in it.

Nsarno87

Savannah Super Cat
She made a small cut on her tail I'm assuming from biting it... She still kept on sucking it with the cut so I ended up getting some bitter apple stuff and put it just on the very tip away from the cut and she has not sucked her tail since.