Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

A Few More Questions?

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
1.) It seems like a lot of videos and pictures that I have seen of Savannahs (all F series) when you look into their eyes most seem to look a little crossed eyed. Is this something with the breed, or is this just normal?

2.) I know with Sylvester I could not give him Cat Nip... Doing so would make him a VERY MEAN drunk. How do Savannahs (in particular F3's) handle the cat nip in general?

3.) There are video's of Savannah's liking water, in bath tubs, and some even fishing for feeder gold fish. Are the Feeder Gold Fish bad or hard on the Savannah's

Also, some news from work... My TDY may be over by the end of the year, with that in mind I will be seriously shopping for my Savannah to join me and Jake. For those who have not seen Jake, he is my dog and attached are his 2013 Christmas Pictures.

Jake-Christmas-2013-1.JPG Jake-Christmas-2013-3.JPG

I am not sure what he is asking Santa, but he may be asking for his new friend to show up soon.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
(1) It is really more likely the concentration on one point making it appear they are cross-eyed. In general in cats, cross-eyes (strabismus) is linked to the colorpoint gene, but requires two copies of that gene hence is found in colorpointed cats (Siamese, snow Bengals or snow Savannahs).

I've had kittens where I worried about this and took to the vet and they tested them and said no. And cat judges that explained how if they hold the wand toy and the kitten is highly focused on it that it can appear that way...

(2) I think what you describe is rare, most cats go crazy on catnip but end up relaxed and "stoned"... Savannahs are no different...

(3) You likely will find differing opinions on that, with thoughts on parasites and diseases that fish might carry. I've given my cats goldfish in a kiddy pool to play with and they did eat them... with no ill-effect. But I don't know about it as a regular "meal"...

Good luck with your search!

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Brigitte covered your questions perfectly :) The only thing I might add is that not all Savannahs like water, so when you are ready for a Savannah, don't be disappointed if yours does not seem to be a "water kitty"...and love the pics of Jake and Santa! I think he really is asking for a new friend :)

cbain

Site Supporter
Hi John,
We have 2F3 SV and one cat likes catnip and the other could care less, as water goes our 2 spoiled SV cats have a small pond in their outside run and I did put 6 goldfish in the pond but there is a small creek very close by and frogs from the creek get into the cats pond and at least once a week we have a soaking wet savannah that dived in the pond after a frog but they don't mind getting wet ,after we got the run set up one of our Vets looked it over and told us that our cats could get a parasite if they catch and eat a raw frog, the run has thick miniature bamboo and I have seen both cats chasing mice, the female did catch a chipmunk but we got it while she was showing it off. Hope you get a Savannah soon, they are the Corvette of cats !!!

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
Hi John,
We have 2F3 SV and one cat likes catnip and the other could care less, as water goes our 2 spoiled SV cats have a small pond in their outside run and I did put 6 goldfish in the pond but there is a small creek very close by and frogs from the creek get into the cats pond and at least once a week we have a soaking wet savannah that dived in the pond after a frog but they don't mind getting wet ,after we got the run set up one of our Vets looked it over and told us that our cats could get a parasite if they catch and eat a raw frog, the run has thick miniature bamboo and I have seen both cats chasing mice, the female did catch a chipmunk but we got it while she was showing it off. Hope you get a Savannah soon, they are the Corvette of cats !!!

Thanks for the info... For the most part, I plan on her being an Indoor Cat, but do plan to train her for a leash... Would be a great way to show her off. As far as the fish goes... I was thinking about letting her play in a bath tub and see if she likes it... If so, then great... If not, then that is ok too.

cbain

Site Supporter
DSCN0346.JPG Glad to help, our 2 spoiled cats are lucky to have a outside run, I know this is not ideal for everyone, leash training did not work for me, our female is calm until one of our cats mess with her or I try to put a walking jacket on her, some members here are able to dress up their savannah's in well done outfits so maybe they can help you with leash training, I found we had water cats when I turned on a faucet and a young kitten was batting at the water. here is Cody on the watch in his turf, send pic's when you get your savannah !