Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Adding new cat to the house Need some help before I do it

Sean

Site Supporter
Right now I have Bella and Xander.
Bella is an F1 Female that is spayed and about 9.5 years old.
Xander is a Siamese male that is neutered. He is a little over 3 years old.

It has been recommended to avoid a female do to a female trying to carve out a teratory for her
brood even if she won't be having any.

If I do end up with a female what do I do to prevent any issues with space between her and Bella?
The down side of males is bladder stones. I know how to avoid them and both the two boys I lost
had issues that I had to keep an eye on.

All in all I have had good luck being in a new cat with Bella coming in after I had the boys for a year
and Xander coming in about 9 months after Mokkun passed away.

I just want to avoid marking and general squabbling over space and who is top cat.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Right now I have Bella and Xander.
Bella is an F1 Female that is spayed and about 9.5 years old.
Xander is a Siamese male that is neutered. He is a little over 3 years old.

It has been recommended to avoid a female do to a female trying to carve out a teratory for her
brood even if she won't be having any.

If I do end up with a female what do I do to prevent any issues with space between her and Bella?
The down side of males is bladder stones. I know how to avoid them and both the two boys I lost
had issues that I had to keep an eye on.

All in all I have had good luck being in a new cat with Bella coming in after I had the boys for a year
and Xander coming in about 9 months after Mokkun passed away.

I just want to avoid marking and general squabbling over space and who is top cat.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Are you thinking to add an adult cat or a kitten? A kitten would be far preferable.
And are you considering adding another Savannah or a domestic shorthair type kitten/cat?

Sean

Site Supporter
The thoughts would be a new kitten. After that part I am not sure.

When I took Bella and Xander in to the vet yesterday for there hots
we talked a little about it and was also thinking I would likely have less
issues with a male. I know I will be looking for one of the more energetic breeds
if I don't find the Savannah that I like.

Vito

Site Supporter
I agree with Brigitte, think a kitten would be the wisest choice here, In my opinion established cats tend to take to a kitten more readily than another adult, I've had great success bringing kittens into my adult clowder in the past years and have even witnessed the older ones mothering/molding the youngster. As I've documented here the problems I had introducing Franco (meet Franco) who was over a year old at the time, we had a very stressful time indeed and it took months for things to settle down, thankfully were all good now and although there is a hierarchy, they all blend well, but in hindsight it would have been a lot easier if Franco had of been a kitten at the time. Keep us posted Sean.

Sean

Site Supporter
The new cat will be a kitten.
Now if I can find the one I want. If it's a female how much
risk of a battle between it and Bella am I risking?

Vito

Site Supporter
The new cat will be a kitten.
Now if I can find the one I want. If it's a female how much
risk of a battle between it and Bella am I risking?
I don't think anyone can say 100% that there wouldn't be any issues, and I am basing my experience of working/living with domestic cats over 30 years and do know that Savannahs are a bit more complex. However we introduced Vito as a kitten with no issues whatsoever, one of my ragdolls actually bonded with him from day one (after quarantine that is) I don't think it would make too much of a difference between getting male or female to be honest. There's always going to be period of adjustments before success. I do know of someone who has 2 female Savannah's and has recently introduced a third wee girl and apart from the initial hissing and pretending their not interested their actually getting on really well now.
I think Witchy could offer advice here, she's always been my go to lass when I got Franco, she offered good wise advice that really helped.