Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Alternative to microchipping?!

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
I have heard of the importance of microchipping your pets. And I agree it is important to have a backup plan if they were to get out of the house. but I've come across a lot of information warning of sarcomas cancerous tumors etc as a result. I don't want to risk my cats health for the security of having a microchip that could do more damage than good. Also I had seen they could migrate? Some places don't even check for chips. Ahh. So I have been doing research on a viable alternative. What do you think? the first I came across was an Id tag. There are a few on the market even with a GPS option. http://m.ebay.com/itm/FurCode-Pet-I...PS-Tracking-Alternative-Dog-Cat-/181011132914

My concern is some types of phones have issues opening the app to read it. And you can only locate based on if the persons phone whom is scanning it has locator options active. So if they don't want you to know or want to keep your cat then you're out of luck. But still a pretty cool concept right? And safer than a microchip?
The other option really has me thinking. it is a solar powered collar tag. no bigger than your average tag. also links up to an online profile if found. But you can use as a GPS. No batteries to worry about. No super clunky collar. And it's only 100$! No monthly subscriptions either. It is in the final stages of licensure and is to be released in may.... Finally! it notifies you via text message or email if your pet steps outside a certain range from your home. and doesn't monitor constantly unless outside of range. Compared to GPS trackers that run and drain battery life at all times. This seems like such an innovative option. I just had to share! And I wanted some feedback too of course.http://haytagstore.com/

"Those who wander aren't always lost"

admin

Paige
Staff member
I have never had an issue with a microchip and never hesitate to use them. .. if I thought it was a real health risk, I wouldn't use them. All of my kittens are microchipped before they leave here.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Kristin

Animal Communicator
I would use both, Bekki. Neither technique is perfect. With a collar, he can slip out of it whereas the microchip is built in. Most people expect a microchip would bring him somewhere to detect it.
On the other hand, microchips depend on someone picking up your baby and doing the right thing and finding you. With a GPS you can find him on your own.

I hope that GPS is open to Canada as well, I haven't found a cat one yet that is suitable for cats, and in Canada

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
A lot of the GPS collars are over kill and just plain heavy. I don't need something I need to charge daily. But those tags are pretty nifty for 100$ it's definately worth it to me. I agree both have their flaws but at least with the tags they can't cause health risks. And you have instant way of tracking. At least with the hay tag that is. the whole cancer cell thing around the chips are what freaked me out. I wasn't trying to argue the importance of microchipping I know having a plan b is always important. But I was excited that I had seen that. And thought you would all enjoy =] the whole possibly slipping out thing is the only way I could see this jog working though Kristin. Your right

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
Lol good point. I am a pretty boring person myself now that I think about it haha

Kristin

Animal Communicator
Yeah, there are averse reactions to anything. Zeddie came home microchipped and vaccinated, so for me I really didn't have much thinking to do about either lol. Tiger isn't microchipped (I really don't know why...I was 13 when we got him, and apparently no one in my house thought it was necessary) so I would love to get a GPS on him...especially after our scare last year when he almost died in some crazy people's garage

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
Did on some crazy people's garage? What