Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Am I feeding my kitten too much?

Elliemay2

Savannah Teenager
Shifu is a F6A. He is 12 weeks old and will eat two cans of food a day.
We give him one in the morning and one in the Evening. He would probably
Eat more too! Is this too much?

admin

Paige
Staff member
It is probably not enough. Kittens should be feed as much as they can eat...they are growing ;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I agree with Paige, your kitten should be allowed to eat as much as he wants. You didn't mention what size cans you are talking about, but unless they are the 12oz size I would not be worried. If he starts looking a little chunky you can reconsider and cut back a bit.

Elliemay2

Savannah Teenager
Thank you both. The can size is 5.5oz. When I fed him last night. I gave him an entire can. Within 20 minutes there was only a table spoon left and he had that shortly after. This morning my husband will give him the same amount. What would you suggest I increase it to? We are not home between 7AM and 430PM. Thank you much!

admin

Paige
Staff member
Thank you both. The can size is 5.5oz. When I fed him last night. I gave him an entire can. Within 20 minutes there was only a table spoon left and he had that shortly after. This morning my husband will give him the same amount. What would you suggest I increase it to? We are not home between 7AM and 430PM. Thank you much!

Do you leave out dry food? If not, you can just leave a can of food for him in the bowl, when you leave...or you can get a timed feeding bowl and it will open at say, noon...

Elliemay2

Savannah Teenager
No, we have not introduced any dry food. My husband leaves 1 can in his bowl when we leave in the morning and we feed him again 1 can after we get home. I have seen mixed comments on introducing dry food. If he is content with wet, should we add dry too? Should we just add another can? (7AM, 430PM, 11PM)? Thanks for your help. My husband thought we were over feeding him, but it seems as thoug we are not. How much do they eat as adults...less since they are growing now? We had a bengal several years ago and fed him mostly dry...just kept his bowl full all the time.

admin

Paige
Staff member
There are mixed opinions on feeding dry...the thing is they should be allowed to eat as much as they want, so maybe try feeding 1.5 cans three times a day, if you don't want to leave some dry out...or you can leave some high quality kibble out when you are gone?

Elliemay2

Savannah Teenager
Thank You Paige. Also, when we brought him home, we gave him our 2nd bathroom. He stays there while we are not home. How long should we wait to give him free range of the house? He likes to explore when he is out. We have kids and they have lots of toys to explore in their rooms. He will be 13 weeks old mid week and we have had him since 10 weeks. Thanks again.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Thank You Paige. Also, when we brought him home, we gave him our 2nd bathroom. He stays there while we are not home. How long should we wait to give him free range of the house? He likes to explore when he is out. We have kids and they have lots of toys to explore in their rooms. He will be 13 weeks old mid week and we have had him since 10 weeks. Thanks again.

Oh, he should be allowed to roam if he knows the house...just make sure he has more than one litter box as he is still little and may forget where the box is...he is probably lonely in the BR...usually a 2 week quarantine is only for those with other pets...