Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Are we having fun yet? Tetsu now has a UTI

Sean

Site Supporter
Well Tetsu ended up at the Emergency vet last night for an over night visit.
I got home to blood on the floor near the box thinking Mokkun is having problems
and then Tetsu comes in gets in the box and nothing. So I watched him and sure enought
he the one. I did a bladder check on him and it did not feel full. Then off to the vet
(Mokkun has me jumpy) They made me a deal and they watched him over night and gave
him some meds for pain and bladder spasms. I picked him up in the AM he peed in the carrier
on the way home and we had to wait for an opening at my regular vet. We went in he
checked him and found his bladder empty,X-rayed and found no stones or blockages.
How ever he does have a heart mummer that we will have to keep an eye on. The X-ray
was full body so Dr Dill could check heart and lungs also. They looked normal.
So after a bit of discussing the problems and all we got a 3 Rx for an antibiotic and the
other one he is on for now. He is peeing in his box and drinking water.

The one thing that may of triggered this was having the house re-roofed none of the cats
were happy with all the noise. On top of all of this I had the back surgery done on the 12th
so I am not very moble. We are managing the meds and all the checks.
I just put then to bed for the night and will check him in a few hours and give his 8 hr dose.

Sean :-drink

admin

Paige
Staff member
Well Tetsu ended up at the Emergency vet last night for an over night visit.
I got home to blood on the floor near the box thinking Mokkun is having problems
and then Tetsu comes in gets in the box and nothing. So I watched him and sure enought
he the one. I did a bladder check on him and it did not feel full. Then off to the vet
(Mokkun has me jumpy) They made me a deal and they watched him over night and gave
him some meds for pain and bladder spasms. I picked him up in the AM he peed in the carrier
on the way home and we had to wait for an opening at my regular vet. We went in he
checked him and found his bladder empty,X-rayed and found no stones or blockages.
How ever he does have a heart mummer that we will have to keep an eye on. The X-ray
was full body so Dr Dill could check heart and lungs also. They looked normal.
So after a bit of discussing the problems and all we got a 3 Rx for an antibiotic and the
other one he is on for now. He is peeing in his box and drinking water.

The one thing that may of triggered this was having the house re-roofed none of the cats
were happy with all the noise. On top of all of this I had the back surgery done on the 12th
so I am not very moble. We are managing the meds and all the checks.
I just put then to bed for the night and will check him in a few hours and give his 8 hr dose.

Sean :-drink

Wow, Sean, you have certainly had your share of issues :(

I am so sorry that tetsu is now sick..and equally worried about you...I hope your back is ok...

Cats seem to get very stressed with change and sounds like maybe they were both stressed with all the roofing noise and commotion?

I hope everything settles down and no more UTI's...

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Heart murmurs can be caused by agitation and stress, but yes do keep an eye on that. It was good that xray did not show an enlarged heart, else I'd worry it was more significant.

So sorry that you are having to worry over yet another cat as well as dealing with your surgery...never rains but pours I guess :-(

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Ugh, I hope Tetsu will respond to the meds and have a complete recovery. And please be careful after having had back surgery so recently!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Pilling can be really tricky sometimes. I have a cat with IBD who hates being pilled. As soon as I think I have found the right method because he's been good for a few days he decides he's had enough and I have to switch techniques. I rotate between liquid, scruffing and pills, pill pockets, and mixing in with wet food or raw. I heard recently that mixing meds in with Rescue Remedy masks the taste enough that the cats will eat it (those who like Rescue Remedy at least).

Sean

Site Supporter
The little brat chew around the pill in the cheese and then walked away. They are
said to be beef flavor. I like liquid and find it very easy to give. Only one mess with Mokkun
too much for one squirt. His neck fur is not loose so it is hard to scruff him and Mokkun, Bella
no problem other than she turns into a limp sack of cat bones (she is 3 Y) Very handy in haveing
to extract her from some of her early hiding places. She does not seem to mind it and I also support
her back side. Both Tetsu and Mokkun it's a no go.
Back to the pills. I will do as best as I can and call the vet Monday and see if there is an option
because he is going to be on this for 20 days. The growling and claws not so good also the
extra stress on my back.
Well it was nice tonight both of then were hungry and Bella had her snack. It was all I could do to keep
from being mobbed as I divided the can onto two pates for the boys. Bella had her kibble to nibble
on while I was trying to do that. I bet she was laughing at me.

Well off to bed for me and Bella.
Sean

John Popp

Site Supporter
I have used pill pockets with some success although I find they work better if I only use half of one. With a whole one it makes things large enough where some of our cats will chomp down on them as opposed to swallowing them whole. One of our cats is dialed in enough, that he now won't even eat one without a pill inserted. Fortunately I've got over my fear of his big teeth and growls that pilling him is done before either of us realize it.

Mrs.CC

Savannah Super Cat
Wow, I sure hope both of you are feeling better soon! That's a lot to handle when you're not feeling well yourself!