Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Bedtime=Playtime!

A

Aimee

I hope Titan outgrows this.
But it never seems to fail, we do play with him before bed but he still thinks it is playtime.
He will go back and forth from my room to my boys room, bring his toys up on the bed, pounce on our feet, run around like a mad kitty, and get into everything he can.
Even last night, he seemd tired and was not running around but my son said he was playing with the blinds a little and checking things out but would walk around meowing like he was upset that no one would play with him (I think it was because he could not find his favorite fetch toy)
Any advice on how to get him to learn that it is bedtime and NOT playtime every single night?
I am thinking that maybe about 30 minutes of us playing with him before bed is not enough and he needs about an hour of it!

John Popp

Site Supporter
Long ago we broke our daily feedings into 3 to avoid some of this. It also helped with getting awakened by the chow hounds, at least for a few extra minutes of sleep. A morning feeding, one when we return from work and a third immediately before we retire. That leaves them pretty much on their own while we hit the hay, and a little more difficult to garner our attention when we are already in snooze land.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Yes, try after the nighttime play session (and make sure you play him hard enough that he's wanting to lay down and rest) giving him a nighttime meal and then go to bed. Play, eat, sleep...

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I've heard it works... our guys have started requesting a midnight snackie before bed... and they seem to be happy to curl up after that :)

A

Aimee

Well we attempted our new routine last night and I think it made a difference. Before bed, we played and played. He was being a bit lazy lol, but I tried to get him to play hard and then I fed him. Of course he scarfed that down real fast! We all went to bed and he still played....but it was much more quiet. He was content playing on his own and was not running around like a mad kitty and meowing to try and get us to play with him.
So thank you for the advice! We will keep up with this!