Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Behavior

Rafiki

Site Supporter
If you like the convenience of the pre-made frozen raw, you might want to try Rad Cat and see if he will eat the beef, lamb, venison or rabbit.

John Popp

Site Supporter
With our one boy, we have to be real careful with his food intake and he doesn't get food on demand. We measure and log each feeding and pick his food up after 15 minutes, done or not. He gets 3 meals a day, and if he is consistently in the clean plate club for a week, we will up his feedings by an ounce.

While most of this is based on his liver disease, he is managing it very well and it has afforded us a great deal knowledge on feeding both him and his brother.

Cats are complicated enough that they don't want to eat the same thing every day. Certainly they have their favorites, and other foods they may turn their nose up at.

Knowing a more exacting amount of how much your cat will eat per feeding gives you some options. When you are transitioning them to a food they might not like as much, you can short feed them by an ounce for a meal or two. This minimizes the opportunity for your cat to go on a hunger strike and start chanting "Attica, Attica, Attica" as they push everything off the counters and tables.

Anyway, I hope this is something you find useful and glad you are reading the stuff from Dr Pierson, she's the best!

How much does he weigh? I would quit leaving the dry food out and feed him more canned. Cats smell the dry food and it causes their body to always be in digestion mode which may be why he's acting hungry all the time.
I agree. Plus free feeding kibble keeps their blood sugar high...Leading to diseases of all types. Kibble is generally considered fast food for animals...(like Mcdonalds) I feed my 2 F1 Savannahs raw organic Turkey, with some filtered water for more hydration, Life Extension cat vitamins, 5 little Chlorella tabs and a tablespoon of Cocolicious Salmon/Turkey. I also give them a water packed Sardine every other day for calcium. Looking to alternate raw organic Buffalo meat with the Turkey. When my little one decides to be a finicky eater, I crack out the dehydrated Salmon treats and sprinkle them over the top of his food. No probems :)

Last edited:

DumaLove

Site Supporter
Staff member
I also give them a water packed Sardine every other day for calcium.
Is that the only calcium they get? Because that's not nearly enough. If the Turkey you're feeding doesn't have 10% bone in it you should be using an actual calcium supplement.