Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Biting

Monika Gajewska

Savannah Child
I got him from a breeder in Buckinghamshire, she is not breeding any more, this was her last litter. His dad is a smoke Champion. All his brothers are silver or smoked, he’s is the only one brown black spotted. A unique cat. Every time I look at him he I cannot believe how stunning he is.
5a6566efe0809f0d351aab4971c57597.jpg
3dbbeab5a59e0f6a4c360e873bdccd86.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rafiki

Site Supporter
He comes to a bed to be petted, he purrs but bites anyway. It gets more and more painful. It doesn’t look like he is doing it out of aggression or unhappiness, but I cannot allow it. He is 22 weeks old and weights over 7 pounds, it will be more painful when he gets bigger.

My baby bites when she is overly stimulated so when we are petting her and she is extremely happy and purring up a storm, we have learned to keep our noses out of strike distance. Some of the biting you are experiencing may be this. And yes, we did initially yelp and punish her by stepping away from her and that helped a lot. Now we are just careful when we notice her getting over stimulated.

The other thing that came to mind is that at 22 weeks old, your baby is teething. That will greatly increase his desire to chomp down on anything and everything. Get him something to chew on......freeze dried chicken or duck feet, freeze dried chicken or duck necks are great edibles or a batter bunny is a great chew toy. https://www.amazon.com/Petmate-Large-Big-Batters-Caterpillar/dp/B002LSI0AG?th=1

Monika Gajewska

Savannah Child
I’ll get him chicken feet, I think they available in local petsathome. He has plenty of toys, anything larger than mouse he is not interested. He chew on all feather wands handles. Hopefully it will stop when he will be bigger, now kicking him off from bedroom seems to be only solution. Thanks

cbain

Site Supporter
Cody is a 5 year old F3 male kitten and he will only sit on my lap and only when I am at my computer and nobody else is in the room but recently he has started to bite when I pet him, he will purrr like a rattlesnake then bite, I now watch for him to turn his head and move my hand before he snaps at me and when he does I set him on the floor then he will jump on the back of the chair and head butt me then get on the arm of the chair then back on my lap, he has drawn blood when I jerk my finger back, any idea's ?

Ninja-n-Bear

Site Supporter
Are you petting the same area of his body each time he bites? Could be painful/sensitive?

If it's not health related then I'd either close him out of the room, or walk away from the behavior each time.

Rob1984

Savannah Super Cat
Cody is a 5 year old F3 male kitten and he will only sit on my lap and only when I am at my computer and nobody else is in the room but recently he has started to bite when I pet him, he will purrr like a rattlesnake then bite, I now watch for him to turn his head and move my hand before he snaps at me and when he does I set him on the floor then he will jump on the back of the chair and head butt me then get on the arm of the chair then back on my lap, he has drawn blood when I jerk my finger back, any idea's ?

when my cat is enjoying being pet too much i almost think he gets too excited and bites as well
not to hurt tho

i just figured it was love bites

cbain

Site Supporter
Any twitching or other weird behavior right before biting?
No weird behavior, This morning Cody got on my lap and tried to bite me when I was petting him so I pushed him off my lap and he jumped back up on my chair and wants to be buddies and I petted him again and no bites, I think it is over excitement , this started about a month ago and I hope he out grows this habit as our F2 did when he was very young.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
It sounds like overstimulation to me as well, and I think you're doing the right thing by making sure he knows you do not approve of the behavior.