Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Bringing in a new puppy

ginamarie1221

Savannah Super Cat
So, we've just acquired a new addition to the household that will arrive on May 30th! The puppy will be a little over 2 month old when we get her.

Any recommendations on introducing Mikono (F3) to our new little girl? Do SV's usually do well with new additions?

Thanks everyone!!!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Savannahs do usually get along with dogs but introductions are still important. I would start by keeping them separate unless either the puppy or the cat is crated. Is the puppy crate trained? If so, it should be that much easier. See how they interact with each other with the pup in the crate. If either seem hostile or afraid continue to introduce them this way and otherwise keep them separate, or at least make sure that Mikono has ample vertical space (e.g., shelves, cat trees) to get away from the pup.

If they seem to do well then you can let the puppy out on the end of a leash - let them check each other out but if there is barking and/or hissing etc. then best to keep some space between them. As long as you continue to supervise until they are comfortable with each other they should do well. Under no circumstances should you allow the pup to chase the cat or the cat to chase the pup.

You didn't mention what breed the pup is - do you think he will be bigger or smaller than Mikono when he comes home to you?

And where are the pictures???

ginamarie1221

Savannah Super Cat
Thanks Patti!
All of that info will be very helpful for when the time comes to introduce them. Whenever Kono meets a dog, he has no problem walking up to it and sniffing around. He seems to be quite fearless. I feel like the new puppy and the cats will do just fine together. We'll see! Kono is probably a little taller (12.5 in) than the pup, but not heavier. He's a lanky little dude and she's short and stalky right now.

We are getting a female Boxer. I'm awaiting a little more info, so not sure if she'll be crate trained when she arrives, but I plan on training her if she isn't. I'll attach some pics!!

Attachments

• 1538055.jpg
    1538055.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 6714098.jpg
    6714098.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 11

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Oh gosh, she is adorable! I'm waiting on a Rhodesian Ridgeback puppy - but in my case he/she hasn't been born yet (hopefully in the next week or two) so I share your excitement!

BTW, sorry about getting the sexes mixed up - my bad! :rolleyes:

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I might suggest a baby gate across one room to give the cat a retreat from puppy too.. at least until you see that they are all comfortable together. I don't suppose it will take long :)

ginamarie1221

Savannah Super Cat
'Baby Gate' should be my middle name. I have those set up all over the house with my two toddlers, LOL!

Congrats (when the time comes), on your new pup as well! Rhodes are beautiful dogs.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Thank you, I can't wait! I lost my old Aussie last year, it looks like with any luck I will be getting a puppy exactly a year after his passing. I've really missed having a dog around here!

ginamarie1221

Savannah Super Cat
Well, it didn't take long for my kids to want another dog after our precious Border Collie died last month. They weren't alive when she was a puppy, so didn't get the chance to learn the responsibilities of taking care of a new puppy. It's very hard getting a new pet after losing one :-(. She lived a very long loving life.

Treywi

April
We are getting a female Boxer. I'm awaiting a little more info, so not sure if she'll be crate trained when she arrives, but I plan on training her if she isn't. I'll attach some pics!!

Love me some Boxers! Have to say one of my favorite breeds!

ginamarie1221

Savannah Super Cat
You know, she's gonna have to compete with Mikono as guard animal of the house. This SV is so cute. He growls like a dog when he hears a suspicious sound. I'm so proud!!!