Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Carriers for Car Travel

finn

Savannah Super Cat
I'm not quite sure I posted this in the right forum section but I'll give it a go anyways.

Basically, I took Finn to the vet yesterday and she popped out the door to my old cat carrier and was loose in the back of the car (while i was on a busy highway) until I could pull over and secure it shut with random objects. She actually broke the outside of the cage itself where the door hooks in so yeah... I'll be needing a new cat carrier!

THIS is the one I have now, although it may have broken just because it is very very old.

I don't intend to fly with her (I imagine it will happen at some point but it's not a concern at this time) but I will need to take her in the car a few times a year. Wondering if you experienced savannah owners could suggest any carriers? I don't have a preference on hard shell / soft shell so any and all suggestions are much appreciated!

Thanks so much and I apologize if this isn't posted in the right place!

Kristin

Animal Communicator
I took Zeddie to Ottawa...she started out in the crate but cried for 2 hours so I had her on my lap the rest of the way (on leash) and she was golden. It's not always feasible though...my carrier looks like this. I also realized after my trip that I have a pet bag thing that I used to take my bunny out in that would have worked

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 20

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
For short trips (1/2 mile to the vets and pet stores) I use a hard or soft sided small carrier, seat belted in. My cats are all familiar with each and every one of my carriers, varying in size from small to quite large, soft and hard sided; I sometimes get a few out for play time for them to be comfortable in. (If doing that with a hard carrier with a metal cage-type door, be sure to wedge the door firmly into some chair legs or tie it open to prevent injury!). For longer trips, such as traveling some distance to a show (over 2 hours away), I pop open my double canvas show cage in the back seat. Plenty of room for two cats, a hammock, a soft bed, litter box and a heavy dog crock water bowl. I also have two or three other small carriers in the car with me, for when we arrive at the show hall to transport each cat inside. Every time I travel, each cat has on a walking jacket and their leashes are within easy reach. I have flown once with two kittens in the same Pet Gear suitcase type bag Paige has. It worked very well, especially with the telescoping handle and wheels; it slid easily on its back under the airplane seat in front of me and has many pockets for emergency cleanup supplies. What's great about that particular bag is that it is adjustable in overall width and size. Fully expanded, it was too large for that airline's specs, but I kept it zipped up as small as possible at check in, then expanded it once on the plane ...both kittens rode quietly together, had plenty of room and never made a sound....however, with repeated use, the nylon zipper on the Pet Gear bag is not working like it should. It still is functional; but I would not trust it again on a flight. It is fine for short jaunts around town yet and for cat shows. I may have it repaired using a heavy duty metal zipper. Overall it is a very good quality cat carrier and my favorite and all my cats seem to like it.

I think it's very important, no matter what carrier you use, to have your kitties used to them. Leave the carrier out for a while, with supervision, to play in. Put some treats or toys inside. Occasionally shut the door or zip the carrier shut with them inside; wheel it around (if it has wheels), carry it around the house, and leave them in it, increasing the time spent inside, so they are comfortable with it when you are actually traveling :) Before I traveled on a plane with my two kittens, I practiced well ahead to prepare them for the real deal...including wheeling the carrier up and down stairs, outside, etc.

You might have to experiment with the size of the carrier: some cats seem to prefer a really small soft carrier and others like the larger ones. I realize this in not always realistic, but if you can, it is worth finding which carrier your cat prefers.

AND....for F1, F2 cats and kittens, and possibly lower generations...a hard carrier is a MUST for travel! And go for the best quality carrier, too. I once had an F7 3.5 month old kitten shred the mesh and zippers on a cheap soft carrier to escape that I had previously used without incident....

Last edited:

admin

Paige
Staff member
Pam, I had an issue with the zipper as well and bought a new one...I am going to write to PetGear and let them know.

Great post btw!

Trish Allearz

I do not recommend soft carriers for Savannahs. Simon (F1) in two seconds flat split a hole in one of mine and was peeping out while I was driving on the highway doing 80 MPH.

And it went from- him being quiet (NOT frantically ripping at the carrier) to "Hello! I'm Simon! What's that whizzing by???"

So I recommend hard crates- PARTICULARLY for F1-F2 owners.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I do not recommend soft carriers for Savannahs. Simon (F1) in two seconds flat split a hole in one of mine and was peeping out while I was driving on the highway doing 80 MPH.

And it went from- him being quiet (NOT frantically ripping at the carrier) to "Hello! I'm Simon! What's that whizzing by???"

So I recommend hard crates- PARTICULARLY for F1-F2 owners.

hahaha...Zuri does the same thing...

Trish Allearz

hahaha...Zuri does the same thing...
Ya know- if he had been scrambling at the crate or ripping at it, it'd be understandable. But it was like- he was sitting there, thinking, 'Do I want to be in here or not?"- decided not and in one swipe- he was out!

He traveled the next eight hours in a very small pink hard carrier!