Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Cat introductions??

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
I think 4 days is too soon to let them interact. The minimum two week quarantine is recommended for good reason; for bonding with you, letting your first cat learn there is a new housemate, for observing any possible illnesses in the new kitty and letting him adjust to a new home.....and because these are both somewhat older kittens and your girl is a picky eater and tried to sneak attack him....I'd stick with keeping them separated. I know it's hard not to let them be together sooner, but in the long run you will be glad you did :)

Ayakina

Savannah Teenager
I think 4 days is too soon to let them interact. The minimum two week quarantine is recommended for good reason; for bonding with you, letting your first cat learn there is a new housemate, for observing any possible illnesses in the new kitty and letting him adjust to a new home.....and because these are both somewhat older kittens and your girl is a picky eater and tried to sneak attack him....I'd stick with keeping them separated. I know it's hard not to let them be together sooner, but in the long run you will be glad you did :)
Ok, I'll keep that in mind. I still don't plan on letting them run around without supervision, and the boy already had his health check up and droppings examined and got a clean bill of health. But I will keep an eye out and try to be more patient XD

Ayakina

Savannah Teenager
I think the biggest reason for trying to do the 2 week quarantine is the fact that you want your kitten to really bond with you first then the other cat. it is your bonding time!
Sue, I think you might've seen Tater before? There were no bonding time with him, he rubbed all over me before I even got to the house. As Michelle said, "HAM".

Sue, I think you might've seen Tater before? There were no bonding time with him, he rubbed all over me before I even got to the house. As Michelle said, "HAM".
No- but if he bonds to your other Savannah, you may very well lose that bond with him if you let him out now.

The issue is- kittens will bond extremely close to an older, established kitten/cat if let out of quarantine too soon. While you are thinking, "Great! This is why I got two kitties!"- actually, you kinda lose out on a better bond between you and your cat.

The way I see the hierarchy of kitties is...
1. Kitty loves ME
2. Kitty loves whomever he/she wants

And trust me, I let my F1 girl out early because she was so sweet and she completely bonded to my male F1 and decided I wasn't worth her time. Been there, done that. It took about 6-8 months before she decided I'm worthy of her great love too.

Ayakina

Savannah Teenager
No- but if he bonds to your other Savannah, you may very well lose that bond with him if you let him out now.

The issue is- kittens will bond extremely close to an older, established kitten/cat if let out of quarantine too soon. While you are thinking, "Great! This is why I got two kitties!"- actually, you kinda lose out on a better bond between you and your cat.

The way I see the hierarchy of kitties is...
1. Kitty loves ME
2. Kitty loves whomever he/she wants

And trust me, I let my F1 girl out early because she was so sweet and she completely bonded to my male F1 and decided I wasn't worth her time. Been there, done that. It took about 6-8 months before she decided I'm worthy of her great love too.
I will definitely keep that in mind then! I'll limit their interactions for 2 weeks then (probably just feeding time), since I've read that sometimes it allow the cats to associate the other cat with positive things like food. Or do you think it's too soon?

I will definitely keep that in mind then! I'll limit their interactions for 2 weeks then (probably just feeding time), since I've read that sometimes it allow the cats to associate the other cat with positive things like food. Or do you think it's too soon?
I would keep them separate until your quarantine is over. I think cats would be more willing to get an attitude with a newcomer around or about food.