Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Cat safe dog toys?

Treywi

April
Could anyone recommend some dog toys that would be fun and safe for the cats as well? I ask because we are getting to the point were not only are the cats destroying any cat type toy very quickly, but also the dog likes to chew them up as well or take them outside. Our dog is a Miniature Pinscher so not very big.
Looking for durable but still fun to play with. We have plenty of wand type toys we play with them and put away, but really need something that can be left out to keep them entertained when we are at home but busy with other things.
Any help or ideas would be great...plus the furries will even happier. :)

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I've found that those "roadkill" dog toys work well here, our beagle will gut any stuffed toy and spread the stuffing out all over the place...these work better and I find my cats wrestle and throw them around too.

It may be a matter of experimenting, going to the pet store and looking at dog toys looking for ones that might do double-duty. Petstages make a range of dog chew toys that many of them look like ones the cats might play with too...

mhardy12

Savannah Super Cat
I've found that Taz loooves this long stuffed pillow toy called a Kong Kickaroo. He also goes crazy for these little furry squeak mice that he hauls around the house and yells (growls) at. There is also a catnip toy called "Dynamite" that he will play with for quite a while. We also have a stuffed rat that's large he loves to play with. I did buy a couple of dog toys when he was younger, but he never really had any interest in them.

John Popp

Site Supporter
Chong loves his Kong Kickeroo! One of his first toys that he still hasn't manage to destroy. He also really like my Turtle Fir hat, first chewing a hole in it and now it's just MIA. Best of all, he likes Home Depot Nail Aprons. Two pockets, so you can put fuzzy balls, mice or catnip in them and then two tails with the canvas strings. At just 77¢ a great value and despite the tie strings getting torn off in a week or so, he loves dragging them through the house proudly displaying his kill.

mhardy12

Savannah Super Cat
Oh yes and we can't forget any and all paperbags, grocery, shopping, etc. They're destroyed in a day, but a pretty much endless supply. :)

HappyS

Savannah Super Cat
We got at the local pet store this super thick rope that's braided into a 4 inch thick braid from that rope. It's supposed to be some sort of really strong chew toy for very large dogs.

After about 5 months they've finally managed to start unbraiding it but the smaller ropes that make up the big rope is intact so it's held up well. I'll see I can find the backup we bought for them.

D

DocMac

Could anyone recommend some dog toys that would be fun and safe for the cats as well? I ask because we are getting to the point were not only are the cats destroying any cat type toy very quickly, but also the dog likes to chew them up as well or take them outside. Our dog is a Miniature Pinscher so not very big.
Looking for durable but still fun to play with. We have plenty of wand type toys we play with them and put away, but really need something that can be left out to keep them entertained when we are at home but busy with other things.
Any help or ideas would be great...plus the furries will even happier. :)
Find some toys made if felt. Indestructible. I've had mine for many years with many SVs.

Todd L

Savannah Super Cat
Find some toys made if felt. Indestructible. I've had mine for many years with many SVs.

Felt?? I would think that would be a destroyed quick. I'll have to try that. As everyone else my Savannah's destroy cat toys in seconds not days. Only a couple toys have held up.

Do u have any felt toys u recommend And where u got them?

Sent from my Savannah's ipad.

D

DocMac

Felt?? I would think that would be a destroyed quick. I'll have to try that. As everyone else my Savannah's destroy cat toys in seconds not days. Only a couple toys have held up.

Do u have any felt toys u recommend And where u got them?

Sent from my Savannah's ipad.
Not store-bought felt from Walmart...good quality wool felt.