Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Changing Locations

Rafiki

Site Supporter
I also have a feeling that a kitten may be just what the doctor ordered. We went 5 months without a kitty when we lost Thimbu. My co-workers were overjoyed when we got Jammu and then Rafiki. I have a strange feeling that I may have been a serious bitch-on-wheels during those 5 months.

cbain

Site Supporter
I am glad to hear you are considering another SV kitten, after having a Savannah I'd be lost without one following me around, it may help you and your wife to ease the stress of what you are going through now.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Kittens are very adaptable, but even adults can handle that kind of change. They would have had long enough to bond with YOU so wherever you and Trish are the kittens/cats will be fine.

I take my kittens and cats to cat shows, so they go on a long trip and thence to a strange room...the first half hour they might be a bit disturbed but soon curiosity gets to them and they are exploring and within no time acting like they've lived there for months.

I think a pet would be so good for you and your wife, so I heartily applaud the idea of getting one now rather than waiting for your home to be finished!

SlugMaster

Site Supporter
John,

I had to move two years ago with a 6 month old F2 and a two year old sbt. I limited them to the master bedroom for a month, while I removed the "popcorn" ceiling texture in the rest of the house. The cats did fine and I think it helped some with the bonding. Also, I made sure to take them outside, weather permitting.
Bruce

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I don't think that generation plays as much a role when changing environment as the individual personality of the kitten/cat. Most Savannahs are pretty confident and outgoing, so as long as it has bonded with you and has those familiar toys and bedding, I dont think there should be an issue.

Having said that, I would still treat it the same way as bringing a new kitten into the home, since it is a new home, in that I would limit it so a single room or so (bathroom, bedroom) until it settles in and gets familiar with that area of the house, then gradually introduce it to the rest of the layout, and of course always making sure it knows how to easily get to the litterbox, food, and water.

s&jdavis

Savannah Super Cat
I know 3 months after getting our SV we took a 2 week vacation and he came with us. He was never hesitant for a second and immediately acted as if he owned the place. I can't see it being an issue as long as the bonding is complete.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

John Popp

Site Supporter
Thanks Patti, and thanks for the other responses.

Monte definitely loved his quarantine condo and he would often return to just hang out or rest. It was definitely his binkie or woobie and gave him solace far after he had run of our home. I'll keep it in mind for when we eventually get to return.