Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Chewing cords

DumaLove

Site Supporter
Staff member
I have had a couple of Savannahs chew on this stuff pretty good - they haven't actually chewed through the cord yet, but it makes me nervous so I wrapped the tubing with heavy duty Gorilla tape - that makes it thick enough that they aren't chewing through.
That's a GREAT idea Patti!! We use that stuff on all of our cords but it makes me a little nervous on persistent chewers. I like the extra level of security.

SavannahLuv

Site Supporter
My dad let me raid his garage and I found some items without having to go to the store. I got a piece of split loom tubing and put it around the water fountain power cord. Then I ran that through a piece of washer drain hose. It definitely doesn't look like Shango will be able to chew through it so we shall see. Worst case, the fountain cord is pet safe so it's a good power cord to test with since it won't harm him if he somehow chewed through both hoses & the cord. If it proves to be 100% safe/chew proof, I will use the same technique for an electric heater power cord.

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
21321574-fec5-42c9-9eea-f15702998fe0_400_compressed.jpg

Might want to try this!

SavannahLuv

Site Supporter
Thanks rd! That looks like it would work perfectly. I didn't realize they made steel armored cable like that... Shango could attempt to chew through that all he wants and I don't think I'd ever have to worry about him getting through it to the power cables.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Yeah, but is it split tubing so we can put a cable inside it??
Apparently not so it's not practical for our purposes. No way to get a cord through it and opening isn't big enough for a plug so you couldn't even thread a cord through it.

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
Apparently not so it's not practical for our purposes. No way to get a cord through it and opening isn't big enough for a plug so you couldn't even thread a cord through it.
Okay, wrong picture. But that stuff is made without the wires inside, so you could snake some wire through it. And I have seen that stuff over 1.5 inches in diameter. (I use it to wire up the lighting fixture for drop ceilings and other objects to tough to bend conduit for.) Might have to disassemble / reassemble the plug, or the other end, but unless the cat has jaws of steel, problem solved.

Besides... the original picture was meant as sarcasm!

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
so you could snake some wire through it. And I have seen that stuff over 1.5 inches in diameter. (I use it to wire up the lighting fixture for drop ceilings and other objects to tough to bend conduit for.) Might have to disassemble / reassemble the plug, or the other end, but unless the cat has jaws of steel, problem solved.
Bwaahaaahaaaaaa, that works for those who are motivated and talented at DIY. I couldn't even manage to get the mail without physically harming myself.

Sarcasm is lost on newbies in need of help. The rest of us just ignore you :LOL:

Toby's mom

Savannah Adult
That's a GREAT idea Patti!! We use that stuff on all of our cords but it makes me a little nervous on persistent chewers. I like the extra level of security.

We're very lucky...if our boys can't destroy it in one chomp they get bored. So the split loom has been perfect for us. I tried Bitter Yuck to start but Toby just licked it off.