Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Claw Trimming

L

Louie'sDad

Only those with F1 SV. Does he let you trim his claws. How, if so, do you get him to calm down? Is there an anesthetic or inhalant available for temporary use?

cbain

Site Supporter
DSCN0416.JPG I let our vet trim our cats claws, note the clips DSCN0433.JPG $10. well spent and he gets a once over for his health, hardest part is getting him in the carrier, Connie also cleaned Cody's nose and put some medicine on it that is why his nose is white, Cody licks his nose a lot and a scab or scale builds up on his nose, his nose gets into a lot of places good and bad but his is a Savannah and we love him, it seems to go away as Cody spends more time outdoors in the warm months, look at his pix in the avatar at his nose, anyone else have this problem ??? this is late Dec. DSCN0433.JPG pix ,Help Cody if you can , I am surprised our female Savannah does not get wind burn on her nose

Last edited:

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
We have two F1s here... I would say that both are a 2-person job...but then I haven't really worked on trying to approach when napping and getting one claw at a time. We have a number of cats so it tends to be one claw-clipping chore done on all at the same time. With two people, it is easy enough with both. One person holds the cat and the other clips the claws.

We did have a "46% F3" (ie looked and behaved exactly like an F1) and she was a nightmare to clip claws on. I always put it down to her having to have a toe amputated at 48 hours of life due to a necrotic toe... and thought she was sensitive because of that. But her daughter Coco was exactly the same without ever having had a negative experience with claw clipping. Made me wonder if some cats are simply more sensitive in their claws than others?

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
View attachment 12061 Connie also cleaned Cody's nose and put some medicine on it that is why his nose is white, Cody licks his nose a lot and a scab or scale builds up on his nose, his nose gets into a lot of places good and bad but his is a Savannah and we love him, it seems to go away as Cody spends more time outdoors in the warm months, look at his pix in the avatar at his nose, anyone else have this problem ???

My guess is that Cody either has a chronic low-grade upper respiratory infection or hayfever/allergies. With URIs (upper respiratory infections) when they have one over and over, the nasal passages can become damaged from the inflammation making it thence have scarring that function as nooks and crannies for nasty bugs to hide out in...and the cat may have continual issues that are almost impossible to fix.

You could try doing an upper respiratory PCR panel and see if it shows up anything, or you could work on the allergy route. If you give benedryl for example, do the symptoms lessen?