Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Clicker Training for Savannahs

Kiangagirl

Savannah Super Cat
I have used clicker training very successfully in the past with horses and dogs. Has anyone tried it with a Savannah and if so, what were your results?

Kiangagirl

Savannah Super Cat
Yup, many people have successfully clicker trained their cats, in fact it is one of the most common techniques used by Marilyn Krieger, the Cat Coach to deal with behavioral and other cat issues. There is also a Yahoo group you might be interested in: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Cat-Clicker/
Cool---I think I will try it with my "queen from hell". I already trained a "wild horse from hell" with very good results but I wasn't sure about cats---they are such independent little beasties.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I have clicker trained Taj with great success. I did it with no help from anyone but the clicker manual...I think Savannahs are very easy to train - jmo. Taj sits, stays, comes, shakes paws and runs a small agility course I set up for him.

Zuri is actually more trainable than taj and picked it up in no time. She just has a shorter attention-span :)

Kiangagirl

Savannah Super Cat
I have clicker trained Taj with great success. I did it with no help from anyone but the clicker manual...I think Savannahs are very easy to train - jmo. Taj sits, stays, comes, shakes paws and runs a small agility course I set up for him.

Zuri is actually more trainable than taj and picked it up in no time. She just has a shorter attention-span :)
I'm just hoping I can get my F1 girl to be a bit more tractable and not such a drama queen. She won't let anyone but me touch her, and then it's only a stroke as she walks by. She is so unpredictable--it would be nice if I could get more consistent behavior from her. Wish me luck.

K

Kronos

I haven't used a clicker, but I do just use my voice as a marker instead. Both my cats can do tricks :)

Kronos was 3 - 4 months old in this video.