Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Crate...Run (Ruin) of the house?

waitingforgeorge

George's brother
For those who lived through kitten hood with a F1, 2, or 3 how old was the kitten before they were allowed run of the house when you were not home? I know they are individuals and what is good for one won't do for another but I would still like to hear from others before I get him home. If they were not allowed run of the house what has been your way of confining them to keep them happiest? Thanks

Jim Graham

Savannah Kitten
For those who lived through kitten hood with a F1, 2, or 3 how old was the kitten before they were allowed run of the house when you were not home? I know they are individuals and what is good for one won't do for another but I would still like to hear from others before I get him home. If they were not allowed run of the house what has been your way of confining them to keep them happiest? Thanks
I did just as Jacq did. As soon as the quarantine period was over , I let them loose. The only consideration is to make sure there are an adequate number of litter boxes available and that you have shown the kitten where they are located.

M

MK Anderson

same, as soon as quarantine was over and I knew they were all getting along.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Agreed with all here, once out of quarantine they have run of the house as soon as they all seem to be getting along. I've tended to just adjust my home if there is destruction...over the years we've replaced furniture to be more kitty-suitable and shut away breakables etc...

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
My first F2, Juba Kai, didn't get the run of the house after quarantine until he stopped getting lost. LOL. We don't have a huge house (2800 sq. ft.) but he would wander around, get lost, and then start chirping until someone rescued him. It was really cute. He'd be sitting there with his eyes closed and face all scrunched up chirping so loud it hurt our ears. Took him an extra week to get comfortable with the place.

When we introduced our 2nd cat (Taji) to Juba, Juba played big brother. Taji walked under Juba's belly and Juba took him all around the house. It was absolutely adorable -- Juba waddling around with his legs spread so Taji could safely explore the house from under cover of Juba's belly.:in love:

Marissa

Savannah Super Cat
My first F2, Juba Kai, didn't get the run of the house after quarantine until he stopped getting lost. LOL. We don't have a huge house (2800 sq. ft.) but he would wander around, get lost, and then start chirping until someone rescued him. It was really cute. He'd be sitting there with his eyes closed and face all scrunched up chirping so loud it hurt our ears. Took him an extra week to get comfortable with the place.

When we introduced our 2nd cat (Taji) to Juba, Juba played big brother. Taji walked under Juba's belly and Juba took him all around the house. It was absolutely adorable -- Juba waddling around with his legs spread so Taji could safely explore the house from under cover of Juba's belly.:in love:

I'm a little off subject here, but I have Bengal whose deaf and.. "not all there" he STILL does the get lost thing and yowls like crazy. It's the funniest thing I've seen. It doesn't help that he's deaf and you can't call to him. I usually have to track him down and he's staring at a wall or some other inanimate object :)

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
That's what I do too, Brigitte...once out of quarantine and all seem to be getting along, they have full run of the house. I have also replaced furniture with cat-friendly stuff and put away valuables if they haven't already been broken by the brats. The trick I think is making my house cat-proof without having it look like that's what I've done ;)