Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Cryptorchidism in Savannahs

ALizzlyBear

Savannah Super Cat
Hi everyone,

My kitten was found to be Cryptorchid upon neutering. I have read online that this is a genetically inherited trait and more common in purebreds. This same kitten died at 6 months of age from really horrific congenital and auto-immune issues. I am wondering if Cryptorchidism occurs at the same rate in Savannahs.. also if others have experienced additional congenital or auto-immune health issues with their kittens that were cryptorchid?

This website does list a few other congenital abnormalities that occur with cryptorchidism in non-hybrid animals:
http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pe...cle/animal-health/cryptorchidism-in-cats/7472

Thanks !

Mrs.CC

Savannah Super Cat
I've never heard of it, but would like to offer my condolences...so sorry for the loss of your baby!

admin

Paige
Staff member
Hi everyone,

My kitten was found to be Cryptorchid upon neutering. I have read online that this is a genetically inherited trait and more common in purebreds. This same kitten died at 6 months of age from really horrific congenital and auto-immune issues. I am wondering if Cryptorchidism occurs at the same rate in Savannahs.. also if others have experienced additional congenital or auto-immune health issues with their kittens that were cryptorchid?

This website does list a few other congenital abnormalities that occur with cryptorchidism in non-hybrid animals:
http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pe...cle/animal-health/cryptorchidism-in-cats/7472

Thanks !

Cryptorchidism is undescended testicles in a male...either one or both, for those that do not know.

It happens, but I don't think it is any more prevalent in the savannah cat vs any other cat.

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your kitten...

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I have only had one male who had an undescended testicle in 10 years of breeding, he had no other medical issues.

Trish Allearz

One-ballers happen, unfortunately, in dogs and cats, but they typically do not go hand-in-hand with other congenital defects. I am so very sorry for your loss :(

As for the SV breed, we have had one kitten whose testicle did not descend by 6 months- he was still neutered and continues to live a happy, healthy life.