Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Declawing

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dantes

As for trimming can't do nothing with her she squirms and gets away.

http://www.tributememorial.net/CLIPPINGNAILS.html

Personally if I thought I had a choice between declawing and rehoming, I would rehome. But that's just me.

D

Dantes

We do ignore her but she always runs into my bedroom when someone goes in and gets under the bed.

The only way she's going to learn to not play rough is through training. Maybe she needs her own "time out" place. When she starts to get rough, put her in a bathroom, or in her carrier, or something.

It really sounds like she's got you programmed. Time to de-program you and train her!

Trish Allearz

Personally if I thought I had a choice between declawing and rehoming, I would rehome. But that's just me.

Personally, for me- I'd rather a home contact me and discuss the issues with me as the breeder and we work on fixing the problem then the cat be rehomed. This is the one reason why I did not have an anti-declaw clause in my contract for a long time- I'd prefer a GREAT, WONDERFUL home who runs into problems to keep their cat versus abandoning them. Of course, then I took in two declawed Sphynxes as rescues and I felt miserable for them- you could see how deformed their paws are. So I added my anti-declaw clause to my contract.

It's not an easy choice, but declaw should always be a LAST RESORT type of choice. I wish more vets would work with owners on behavioral issues as well as breeders.

L

Louie'sDad

You should try clipping her claws either while she's asleep, or still groggy. It works. I also agree that a "time out" will defuse the situation and give her time to calm down when she gets into a frenetic mood.

My guy does the swat, stalk, and jump things too, but he's playing and always has his claws retracted when doing so. He never taps hard, and "fake" jumps.

Kristin

Animal Communicator
You should try clipping her claws either while she's asleep, or still groggy. It works. I also agree that a "time out" will defuse the situation and give her time to calm down when she gets into a frenetic mood.

My guy does the swat, stalk, and jump things too, but he's playing and always has his claws retracted when doing so. He never taps hard, and "fake" jumps.

My F4 does the same...she ambushes me and runs towards me, throws her weight on her hind legs and her front paws in front with (what she thinks is a roar), and then retracts her claws and lightly pats my leg and runs away :p

Cathouse1

Site Supporter
My wife had two older DSH that had front claws out when I met her. We will never have that done again, just our personal opinion. Ours are all sweet, but they still know how to use them. Just part of being owned my cats I guess.

Kimmyqitty

Site Supporter
Hey there Josh & Ayakina, look, I have declawed all my cats in the past, wouldn't have an animal in my house distroy my home. But this last year I adopted a kitten from the shelter and never declawed him( the first time ever) anyway, we made sure he had these "S" shaped clawing things, upstairs and down stairs. He totally took to them! Any time he even thought about scratching on anything else we did the sssssssssttttttttttt thing! It's like NO! And the sound makes them stop in their tracks! Of course there is some training involved and you have to stay on top of it. ANYWAYS, it IS possible to have a cat with claws in your home without destroying it!

Josh

Savannah Kitten
Thanks everybody she has 2 cat trees and plenty of toys. And will try the time out thing. She listens to me pretty good usually I just stand up and she's gone or quits. I'll try trimming while asleep never thought of that. So thank you for all the ideas

Kimmyqitty

Site Supporter
Frustrated aaaa? Patience. Calm down, it will be sooo totally fine! Cats, really are like dogs. Smarter than most people think. Train them as you would a dog or, sorry to say, but, a toddler. Everything will work out in time. :)

Kimmyqitty

Site Supporter
Same thing with the trimming of the claws. Hold them in yur lap, calm them, distract them, just as you would a real human child. Just think in those terms, and of course persistence and patience.

Status
Not open for further replies.