Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Deworming

Mrs.CC

Savannah Super Cat
Triton is the only cat in our family who eats raw food. He isn't showing any signs of health issues, but I'm wondering how often do those of you who feed raw have your pets checked for worms?

admin

Paige
Staff member
Triton is the only cat in our family who eats raw food. He isn't showing any signs of health issues, but I'm wondering how often do those of you who feed raw have your pets checked for worms?

I just deworm every 6 months. What type of raw are you feeding Triton?

Mrs.CC

Savannah Super Cat
I just deworm every 6 months. What type of raw are you feeding Triton?
Mostly chicken...legs, thighs, liver, heart, gizzards. Occasionally, we throw in beef stew meat, tongue, turkey, and shrimp.

Angie Panczak

Savannah Super Cat
Is it frozen raw you unthaw? If there is any parasites, I would think it would only be fresh fish that carry it in the meat. I have my raw frozen for a period of time before feeding it. Freezing should kill any parasites.

Mrs.CC

Savannah Super Cat
Is it frozen raw you unthaw? If there is any parasites, I would think it would only be fresh fish that carry it in the meat. I have my raw frozen for a period of time before feeding it. Freezing should kill any parasites.
Yes, I do freeze, then thaw. I did feed freshly ground once, and now that I see your words in print, I guess I hadn't better do that again. Thanks for the reminder! How long do you freeze yours before you feel it's safe? I know this may sound like a stupid question, but having never dished up raw meat, I haven't a clue. :confused:

Angie Panczak

Savannah Super Cat
I am not too sure, I feed German shepherds raw too so I get prefrozen 10lb blocks of ground meat and bone. I usually by 3 mos supply at a time. But I would say that a few days is fine, frozen is toxic to most parasites. IMO it's also
Nice to get fecal floats to test for parasites before deworming. That way you know what to deworm for.