Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Diarrhea

K

Kronos

My vet has told me that breeds like Savannahs and Bengals sometimes just have loose stool for no apparent reason up until the age of about 12 months. Have any of you guys heard this before?

I have been battling on again and off again loose stool with Kronos for quite some time. Every test we have had done on him comes up negative. For now I have him on a high fiber diet to help keep his poor little rear end happy. Ideally I want to get him either on a raw diet or a grainless dry kibble.

D

Dantes

Alisha, have you tried giving him a spoon or two of pureed pumpkin? (not pie filling, but the canned kind is okay as long as it's just pumpkin puree)

Pumpkin is high in fiber, and I found that my kitties loved it.

K

Kronos

Yeah he gets pumpkin almost every day and loves it as well. Still gets the runs from time to time.

Jacq

Savannah Super Cat
Chances are, once he is on raw meat, it will clear up completely. You can also tried simple boiled chicken (boneless) and rice.

K

Kronos

Chances are, once he is on raw meat, it will clear up completely. You can also tried simple boiled chicken (boneless) and rice.

You really think so? My vet told me during this delicate time to not upset his system further and try so many new foods, especially raw. I know that most vets disagree with raw though....

D

Dantes

I know that *most* vets say they disagree with raw, BUT when Dante had urinary tract issues (still undiagnosed), my vet suggested raw immediately.

I often wonder if some vets are more interested in selling Science Diet than they are in the health of the kits :-/

B

Breheart

Keljin and all of his litter mates suffered through ravaging diarrhea too.. Keljin had it for the first 2-3 months at home off and on again, to the point where he was dripping from his rear end uncontrollably without noticing. I tried pumpkin and 2 different GI sensitive stomach foods with no luck, it comes back randomly on its own.

Vet had him on Metranodizole for a while and that helped it stop for 2 weeks, but as soon as he was done it came back! it sucks :(

admin

Paige
Staff member
Has he been tested for tritrich? perhaps he has IBD? Raw with some probiotics would probably work well.

S

shelby

Keljin and all of his litter mates suffered through ravaging diarrhea too.. Keljin had it for the first 2-3 months at home off and on again, to the point where he was dripping from his rear end uncontrollably without noticing. I tried pumpkin and 2 different GI sensitive stomach foods with no luck, it comes back randomly on its own.

Vet had him on Metranodizole for a while and that helped it stop for 2 weeks, but as soon as he was done it came back! it sucks :(
What is your water source.......well or city?

K

Kronos

Check out the other thread that Bre started - one of Keljin's littermates did test positive for tritrich. The medication for it is just a bit controversial I think.