Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Do's and Dont's for natural remedies

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
So I do prefer to go the natural route when at all possible to help my pets. whether it be day to day nutrition or digestion, or even getting through the night until I can go to the vet. I take vitamins daily but try to eat a lot of my vitamins in raw herbs and veggies. I had found a lot of the rules that apply to humans also apply to rabbits. I'm wondering if any of that would apply to a savannah cat. For example, chamomile helps with stress ( always make cool chamomile tea and honey for my buns before taking to vet) if urine has higher concentration of calcium I would let them have all the parsley they wanted. When my bun came down with snuffles I had treated with both antibiotic and echinacea. And to this day still give a weekly dose of echinacea in water and every couple weeks give fresh echinacea in their "salad" (pile of herbs and leafy greens that they beg me for daily. Dandelion greens. Used clove for pain when spay and neuter willow branch as well. I like to give a balanced diet so that their perky healthy and happy. I also give a papaya enzyme daily (chewable) and double the dose during shedding season. I'm wondering how all of this could apply to a savannah. They eat meat not veggies. so that changes things a bit. would just feeding raw meat be the only thing required for health? what are some homeopathic remedies and options to know of that would be safe and that would promote a better immune system and happier kitty. this is a pretty broad question so feel free to bring up anything regarding temporary pain relief until get to vet, balanced diet, supplements, flea prevention etc.

"Those who wander aren't always lost"

Kristin

Animal Communicator
I prefer natural ways as well...and once I don't work at a vet anymore I will be taking Zeddie homeopathic.
Cats can't have essential oils as the smell is too strong. Are you familiar with crystal healing? It works in conjunction with Reiki, but it is something worth looking into if you don't use it. It amplifies the energy really well, and certain stones target specific chakras.

I feed raw, which I love even more now that I worked 3 days in a pet store lol. The raw I feed is commercial and pre-packaged, but is made locally. It literally has like 4 ingredients in it, minus the seeds. You can supplement flax seed oil for skin&coat. I think that in the States it is better to make your own though? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I know that with pain, my colleague gives her dog Traumeel from the health food store. Not sure if cats can have it though. I think your best bet is then going to a holistic vet, or working with both a holistic vet and a conventional vet so you can get the best of both worlds.

I don't know much about specific herbs with them though. Otherwise perhaps you could call a holistic vet and ask?

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
I didn't even know there was a such thing as a holistic vet. Most definately will look into that. I would imagine carrier oils like jojoba and vitamin e would be fine if had a break In the skin to heal a cut it doesn't smell at least not to me. But then Again I think a holistic doctor could answer all those questions. and local is awesome a lot of times you have less preservative and additives sounds like that food is awesome. I've never made my own oils a friend of mines grandmother does so when I can I buy from her but also buy oils from other people making therapeutic grade oils in their home.

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
I am not familiar with crystal healing, I will be next year when I get my reiki mastership. I have been using crystals for years before non intentionally I ironically chose crystals just haven't been taught to use during reiki. I've been afraid to do too much research if it were anything sacred like the symbols are I didn't want to mess with it until I was ready.

Kristin

Animal Communicator
Nope, no symbols. My Reiki Master is teaching me crystal healing with my Reiki. You can do a stone layout (under a bed or something), or you can use a specific stone in your hands. If I am doing distance I just place the stone in my hand and do the distance as usual. In person, I will do a layout. I focus mostly on animal reiki, as it goes in conjunction with animal communication, although I was taught on humans for the most part. You can also use them around you house ie clear quartz is an energy cleanser, rose quartz evens out emotions. Green tourmaline is fantastic for anxiety, even just to carry around. Amethyst helps headaches and insomnia. I keep one on my wrist and it helps me sleep.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I agree with searching out a holistic vet. I'm a fan of some alternative therapies (my dog has a chiropractor and an acupuncturist for his back issues), but haven't had too much success with homeopathic remedies with my pets so don't really search them out so much. The acupuncturist vet does home visits so we get a good chat on her monthly visits and she will recommend some herbal supplements for my cats during various times...and she was treating a kitten of mine with acupuncture also...

I think the very important thing is to not assume what is okay for us humans is good for our pets. Garlic is a big one, we like it for us humans but it is toxic to cats and dogs. And some things that work for dogs are not good for cats. They are different species so don't always match in those needs. So make sure whatever you give them either is available as a pet preparation or you do internet research (or check with a holistic vet) that it is safe for your cat.

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
I believe crystal grids is something I learn in advanced reiki and reiki master certification, so ill hold off on that until I receive those attunements. And most of the reiki I do is animal reiki I do have the occasional friend knocking on my door at all hours of the night asking for an emergency session or calling me for distance reiki. but my pets get most of it and my boyfriend and I exchange reiki at least once a week to slack off the negative vibes. It's a nice way to end a hectic day lol. reiki helped me to get my buns to come out of their shell and to heal from spay and neuter. reiki helped me to get my hedgehog to eat and drink by syringe before he passed. It's a blessing that's for sure. You can't get any more natural than pure loving energy =]

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
I have a feeling a holistic vet would be more my speed. a lot of medicines do more damage than good or can be very risky that's what caused my hedgehog to pass. it's always good to have a second opinion and especially one of whine advocates natural options before going straight to possibly damaging chemicals. it's like doctors now adays prescribe pills like nothing but don't want to sit down and explain to you the little things you can do to fix the problem. I have been in 2 no fault car accidents one of which was in an old car which had no airbags nothing. My back is ruined for life, if someone had explained to me when I was younger that building core strength would alleviate pain I would have done it. So 6 years later I finally figured it out and began to correct the issue. I looking up holistic vets right now? And pet acupuncture and chiropractor? I would have never though there was such a thing.