Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

DYI 4 foot scratching post/perch!

Pam and Will

Savannah Super Cat
I really really wanted a full stretch scratching post for Leto when he gets here! And seems they also like jumping on stuff I've heard! It's just over 4 ft (4ft 2in) to be exact! I wrapped it in sisal rope, about 150ft worth to wrap the 4ft center! LOL The base is a 24" round table top from Lowe's, the top is an 18" one with a small dog bed stapled to it! :up:

Behind that is the little 'tree' (more like a bush) to go into the computer room for him to sit on when he wants to watch me work! Or you know... to use to step over and help me!

It was fun to build and cheaper than what I could find for really tall ones! Next project... a cat tree/steps/something... :)

Attachments

• ScratchPost.jpg
    ScratchPost.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 46

Jacq

Savannah Super Cat
Wow, looks nice! I wonder if it might tip over when he's bigger and hits it at a dead run....

Pam and Will

Savannah Super Cat
That's been my concern, it I put it in a corner I can tether it to the wall itself. I've been trying to find something to weigh the bottom down better. :confused:

admin

Paige
Staff member
That is awesome! I may try to make this one ;) Thank you for the sharing how you made it!

Pam and Will

Savannah Super Cat
I'll post up some pics of the build and info later. Wasn't to bad and built like a scratching TANK! But I am a bit concerned of stability if he gets a full head of steam and takes a running leap! :eek: A standing jump... not problem and leaning while on top good to go.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I'll post up some pics of the build and info later. Wasn't to bad and built like a scratching TANK! But I am a bit concerned of stability if he gets a full head of steam and takes a running leap! :eek: A standing jump... not problem and leaning while on top good to go.

Could you put something in the middle to even it out?

Pam and Will

Savannah Super Cat
Probably would be easy enough to add a platform in the center area. My wife suggested making a cat tree and attaching this with small board or something as a walk way over and would offer a holding beam as well. Hmmmm... maybe we need to come up with SV sized "Lincoln Logs" if you remember those! Build your own whatever you like!

Jacq

Savannah Super Cat
I just know my cats hit the trees going really fast, and at 20+ pounds each, they really rock them. They never have fallen over, though.