Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Excessive Shedding?

MaddyG

Savannah Teenager
Has anyone else experienced excessive shedding with their SV? I could brush my (1.5 yo, neutered) boy all day, and still take off enough fur to stuff a pillow every time. When i pick him up or we snuggle, i leave completely covered in fur. I have another cat (medium to long length coat), and she doesn't shed nearly as much. Could this be a sign of a health issue? I've read that SVs are light to minimal shedders, so I'm becoming concerned. He's otherwise in excellent health and behavior is normal. ONE THING i did change/ am in the process of changing recently: he came to me addicted to Friskies wet and Iams dry, and I've slowly been switching him over to Earthborn wet and Orijen dry with Honest Kitchen Prowl gravy.

Any thoughts?
Thanks all!
MaddyG

admin

Paige
Staff member
Mine don't shed and sometimes this can be a sign of illness...or something could be lacking in his diet...or he could be stressed...but when did this start? is it getting warmer in your area?

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I have a couple of Savannahs who shed a lot, one excessively. I think it has to do the the outcrosses used in them, but I couldn't tell you which one...

MaddyG

Savannah Teenager
Thanks for all of the replies and insight! I'll try the fish oil. We're in NJ, so it's getting warmer slowly, but not so drastically as to warrant the rate at which he sheds.

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
It is shedding season.. My cats are shedding to various degrees..... (DSH especially)

Per Lausund

Staff member
Mine only shed when I'm dressed in contrasting clothes and don't need the "have you got a dog, or a cat?"kind of comment. Seriously, cats shed when stressed or uncomfortable, or it may be dietary, remember though: individual differences and if nothing else is wrong it may be normal!

Sourek

Savannah Super Cat
Both my cats are shedding excessively. This thread just got me worried. They leave a lot of hairs on my duvet. I sit with them once every few days with a furminator and end up with handfuls of fur from either cat. I add Salmon oil that I ordered from Hare Today to their food once in the morning and once in the evening. I've been dealing with some other issues up until now, but I'll bring this up at the vet visit I have this week. :(

Per Lausund

Staff member
Both my cats are shedding excessively. This thread just got me worried. They leave a lot of hairs on my duvet. I sit with them once every few days with a furminator and end up with handfuls of fur from either cat. I add Salmon oil that I ordered from Hare Today to their food once in the morning and once in the evening. I've been dealing with some other issues up until now, but I'll bring this up at the vet visit I have this week. :(
If you use a furminator that often you may actually be encouraging extra growth: furminators remove both loose and growing hair, and should not be used instead of a microfibre cloth or soft brush!