Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Expert advise needed please

Rafiki

Site Supporter
My Rafiki is from Halestone. I can personally vouch for them.....not only for a healthy, well socialized cat but also all the help and advise that I received from them when my furbaby was sick.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Brigitte - when will you be breeding again?
Um......your cats, not you personally! LOL
I don't know! I had actually hoped to have a litter earlier this year, it had been my intention. But my pregnancy has had some dramas and I just couldn't do it. So now, I'm looking to June when Felix will be born (hopefully) and then seeing when I can consider going there... I know that Lola will love helping to socialize kittens .. I'm thinking about plans but it wouldn't be until much later this year now. I've been feeling a bit sad seeing kittens lately...

Did some more research I really loved looking at Drinkwater and Snow Canyon. Absolutely beautiful.. I am a little nervous to pair an F2 with my hairless chi.. Very playful little guys. They are tiny pups and they have no hair :eek: If anyone has more tips on raising these cuties with dogs input would be much appreciated. I want to get this right but the future is a mystery! Hard to find tips on that. Thanks again.
Cheers!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I think that the issue might not be raising your Savannah with a dog, but the type of dog. Is that a hairless chihuahua? To me, and I only know shorthair and longhaired chihuahuas in my past... the chihuahua is not a very brave dog, but may have a lot of yappy bravado. This may lead to the dog being a target of bullying by a cat...especially a cat with a lot of energy and playfulness. Sometimes this leads to the cat finding pleasure in playing "squeak the dog"... and I would think the earlier generations more likely to find this fun maybe than a later generation Savannah. So something to consider.

On a general dog level, Savannahs usually do great. I have a beagle here and although he is at the bottom of the pecking order he is part of the pack. I've homed SV kittens in homes with all breeds of dogs, whippets and Aussies but not very small dog breeds that I recall.

It's a mix of a chihuahua and a mexican hairless. It's small but not micro size. It's the size of a toy poodle grown up. I'm a little nervous he will be a squeak toy. Maybe a big dog to go with it will make a difference. Just unsure.

Micki

Savannah Super Cat
I think that the issue might not be raising your Savannah with a dog, but the type of dog. Is that a hairless chihuahua? To me, and I only know shorthair and longhaired chihuahuas in my past... the chihuahua is not a very brave dog, but may have a lot of yappy bravado. This may lead to the dog being a target of bullying by a cat...especially a cat with a lot of energy and playfulness. Sometimes this leads to the cat finding pleasure in playing "squeak the dog"... and I would think the earlier generations more likely to find this fun maybe than a later generation Savannah. So something to consider.

On a general dog level, Savannahs usually do great. I have a beagle here and although he is at the bottom of the pecking order he is part of the pack. I've homed SV kittens in homes with all breeds of dogs, whippets and Aussies but not very small dog breeds that I recall.
OMG, Brigitte youre so right!!! They can be bullies. So today I am watching my next door neighbors dog. He is a black lab and his name is Buddy. I was so worried for Loki (my Savannah). Well turned out, it seems like I had to be worried for Buddy. Loki came right up to him to smell him. Buddy just stared at him, then turned away. After a while, everywhere buddy would go Loki would follow, only for buddy to turn away. Next thing you know Loki started blocking him! Buddy would just cower in a corner. THEN Loki would corner him and blow up on him! I was like LOKIIIIII!!! The more buddy cowered the more Loki became a bully. So I had to put Loki in the bedroom cuz he was stressing poor buddy out.

Last edited: