Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Explanation!

ginamarie1221

Savannah Super Cat
Ok kitty experts, I need some education! Mikono, my F3 boy just turned 10 months. He's about 11 lanky pounds. My other DSH is 8lbs. While Kono isn't much larger in whole body size than her, he FEELS significantly heavier and more "solid". Where does his excess weight come from when they are so close in size? Does he have more bone mass that he yet has to grow upwards into? Muscle?

It's always amazing how different they both feel when I pick them up. My DSH feels like air compared to the solid feeling of my SV.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Could it just be the difference between muscle and fat? Muscle is denser and weighs more than fat which is why sometimes when we are good and go to the gym we don't lose weight...

ginamarie1221

Savannah Super Cat
Could it just be the difference between muscle and fat? Muscle is denser and weighs more than fat which is why sometimes when we are good and go to the gym we don't lose weight...

Muscle would makes sense for him. He's very active! I'm always surprised when I'm picking up the kitties off the counter and I pick him up and the feel is so much different. I love it

Kristin

Animal Communicator
Yeah, my sv is 8.8 lbs and my DSH 10 lbs and he feels very light while she feels heavier. It must be muscle as she is active and he is not

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I'm not really sure. Most domestic cats are pretty much adult at a year old but most Savannahs to me seem very young at that age so I'd probably consider them a teen. But then Savannahs never truly seem to "grow up" either...

Kristin

Animal Communicator
Zeddie got really mad at me when I called her a kitten when she was about a year old hahaha therefore I would say she was a teenager for putting up a fuss about being called a kitten

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Muscle is what makes the difference in weight. I consider a Savannah a kitten until it is a year old (sometimes 1-1/2 years old)