Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

F1 owners or breeders...

Trish Allearz

Do most people raise the serval from a baby with females also raised from babies? Like - they get several kittens at a time? Or just put their serval baby with the girls regardless of their age - so he grows up with them ?

-Being owned by a feline builds character & teaches selflessness, patience, cleverness and joy
I think to avoid the chance of pyo-- a possible infection-- they raise the girls up with their boy. Better than having older girls calling and no one to breed them.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Do most people raise the serval from a baby with females also raised from babies? Like - they get several kittens at a time? Or just put their serval baby with the girls regardless of their age - so he grows up with them ?

-Being owned by a feline builds character & teaches selflessness, patience, cleverness and joy
Conventional advice is to raise the female kittens with the male serval...I think to foster the impression to the serval that he is a domestic cat...these are his "peers" so that when he reaches sexual maturity he thinks to breed them, not another serval. And on the other side of the equation, the female domestic cats have grown up with him so are not intimidated by his size and looks. Introduce an adult female cat and she might well freak out at a serval...and that might not go well :-(

I think that you can continue to introduce girls to a serval for a couple years but when they reach maturity many become very resistant to changes and new additions...so you are stuck with the girls you have as mates... and have to hope at least one works.

deeisme77

Savannah Super Cat
It's all very interesting... :) Savannahs are an amazing breed !

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
It just goes to show how tough life is. It will overcome a plethora of difficulties to exist. ANd The reward is being a Savannah cat. The wonder of the "hybrid" We have a breed because God wants it.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I don't know of a subsequent litter, I have no idea if it happened. I know that they bred the F1 to a Turkish Angora...