Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

F2's and working during the day

Happy Monday! My family has done a lot of research and I have spoken with some awesome breeders which I am so very thankful for as they are a wealth of knowledge. As we narrow down our decision and think we have it all figured out (smile) I would love to hear more feedback from more experts on making sure your F2 Savannah is happy during the day while you are at work. We currently have two dogs and I was wondering after the proper quarantine, then proper introductions and then after many supervised interactions and playtime, can you or have you left your Savannah and dog together in the house for company while at work?

tdbradin

Savannah Super Cat
Happy Monday! My family has done a lot of research and I have spoken with some awesome breeders which I am so very thankful for as they are a wealth of knowledge. As we narrow down our decision and think we have it all figured out (smile) I would love to hear more feedback from more experts on making sure your F2 Savannah is happy during the day while you are at work. We currently have two dogs and I was wondering after the proper quarantine, then proper introductions and then after many supervised interactions and playtime, can you or have you left your Savannah and dog together in the house for company while at work?
Proper socialization and introduction and you should have no problems. There is always a chance that they just won't get along, but take the time to introduce properly and it could turn out great. Not the best picture of the two, but all I had on hand.
dfdd786614638b09d983305e1ec94caf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for your reply. I am assuming you work out of the home during the day? How long before you felt comfortable leaving them alone together?

tdbradin

Savannah Super Cat
probably around a month. After initial introduction and seeing no problems I left a pet gate up to block off the upstairs. This gave her a place to go if she needed a break from the dogs. Personally, I only ever worried about her when the dogs would play due to the size difference, but if the dogs got excited she would excuse herself.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
We did used to leave our F2 with our beagle years ago, I don't remember more chaos than usual. But I soon after changed to working from home so that has not so much been an issue for us. I did place one of my first kittens (funnily enough named Chaos) in a home where he was left for long work days with his doggy friend, an Australian Shepherd. Within weeks his owner reported that they had to be separated during the work day as they had SO much fun racing about the house that the place was trashed every evening. Not sure I agree with their "fix" though, I hate to spoil my pets' fun like that!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Oh but as mentioned, a pet gate is a great way to give a cat space from dogs that are not the type to jump those gates. When I placed a kitten in a home with two whippets (dogs very likely to find chasing cats fun) this gave her the space to decide when she would approach them, and the dogs ended up completely owned by the cat who would sleep on top of them! zoomerkika 020.jpg

Patti

Admin
Staff member
In general I think dogs and cats can get along, but you need to know the nature of your dogs' breed(s). For instance, I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback whose nature is to hunt and kill. He was raised from a pup with my cats so he knows to respect them and would never purposefully hurt them, but I would never try to introduce an adult RR to my cats unless he'd also been raised around felines. Even so, Rasuli is a big boy and likes to play with the cats, but he could easily accidentally hurt one just by smacking them down with his big paw, so I never leave him unsupervised around them.

Having said that, I would think a smaller dog, and/or a different breed could get along very well with a cat after proper introductions. It would probably also help if the kitten you are getting has been exposed to dogs before coming to you as well.

Do you have any pics of the kitten you are planning on getting? We would love to see them!

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Thirty years ago I had 2 whippets and 2 cats who were raised together and after 14 years together, one of the dogs killed one of my cats. I am still wracked with guilt about it and could never leave a dog and cat together unsupervised.

There are a lot of dog breeds with low prey drive. That might be something to factor into a decision to get a dog.

John Popp

Site Supporter
That's tragic Witchy, the hurt from somethings never goes away. Hopefully the pleasant memories of your cat outnumber the memories of their passing.