Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

F3 Male - 6 months old - to neuter or not?

John T.

Savannah Child
Hi Guys/Gals

Just wondering, my F3 boy is now close to 6 months old, and I have an appointment at the vet's to go for the chop....

My wife and I are debating the pros and cons and we are afraid it will affect his personality in an adverse way (eg. dumb him down make him less "wild animal"), and also stunt his growth, and get fat (saggy tummy etc)...

Can anyone confirm/deny and offer any advice?

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I have never known a cat whose personality changed from being altered except in a good way, e.g., no more calling, spraying, fighting, etc. I'm not sure where the myth that altering a cat would change the personality but it's totally untrue.

As far as growth, it is actually thought that early neuter will cause more growth because it is the hormones of maturity (e.g., testosterone) that start the process to close the growth plates on the long bones and without it the bones keep growing, but neutering at six months will definitely not hurt his growth.

Regarding weight gain, I have had a couple of females gain weight after spaying but I chalk that up more to decreased activity rather than a lack of hormones causing weight gain. That's just my personal observation though, I have been told by a veterinarian that speutering has absolutely no effect on weight gain or loss.

M

macmanmatty

Neuter!!! It will not affect his personality. He may get a little fatter but this should not be problem at 6 months.

A

Alice

I have never known a cat whose personality changed from being altered except in a good way, e.g., no more calling, spraying, fighting, etc. I'm not sure where the myth that altering a cat would change the personality but it's totally untrue.

As far as growth, it is actually thought that early neuter will cause more growth because it is the hormones of maturity (e.g., testosterone) that start the process to close the growth plates on the long bones and without it the bones keep growing, but neutering at six months will definitely not hurt his growth.

Regarding weight gain, I have had a couple of females gain weight after spaying but I chalk that up more to decreased activity rather than a lack of hormones causing weight gain. That's just my personal observation though, I have been told by a veterinarian that speutering has absolutely no effect on weight gain or loss.
speutering? :) is that some sort of new procedure??

admin

Paige
Staff member
Alice, it means spay/neuter ;)

John, please neuter your boy...none of my males' personalities changed and they are all neutered...none of them are fat...if you don't neuter, I'm pretty sure you will not like the...spraying, howling, etc,. as Patti has said.

A

Alice

Lol it just made me giggle! Never heard that before....
Ewww unneutered male in the house... That won't be good before you know it! Sometimes they will even mark with their poop outside the litterbox :S

Lori Greer

Cahaba Cats
Un-neutered males are a mess. Let's face it... those of us with breeding males RARELY keep them indoors. My first boy did not spray until I brought another boy in to the house but he was the exception. Some are worse than others, but they almost always start marking. Even if they don't, as soon as his hormones kick in you WILL KNOW IT. The odor of their urine becomes markedly pungent. Other than Serval pee, I don't think there is anything more difficult to get rid of than male urine smell. I am also going to assume you purchased him on a contract which clearly states you must have him fixed?