Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

f3 owner info

alyon

Savannah Kitten
Hello, I've been researching this breed and would like to know more firsthand info from an owner (not a breeder or someone in opposition to hybridization).

How safe are they around children, anyone have isues with any aggression?

Has anyone had issues with spraying from a cat that was fixed at a young age?

Can they go outside?

And, compared to other cats, what is the best and worst trait of these animals?

Thank you for sharing.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Well most breeders were and are pet owners first...and no one participating on this forum is in opposition to hybrids...

If you look at the most recent monthly theme, you will see shots of savannahs and children...they get along well...but every cat is different...

My male was neutered at 5 months and has NEVER sprayed. That being said, any cat can spray at any time - has nothing to do with what breed they are.

We do not advise letting a savannah outside...if you do, you will probably never see him/her again. Many of us have outside enclosures and/or take our savannahs out for a walk.

Compared to what other cats?

Question for you...are you wanting to buy a savannah? Are you writing an article?

D

Dantes

I don't have children, but Duma attends public functions and I haven't yet had a problem with him being petted by random children, even in a crowd. Duma is less aggressive than my Ragdoll.

Duma was fixed at 5.5 months and is now just over 8 months, but he hasn't given any indications of spraying.

Can they go outside?

Duma is allowed in my enclosed garden, but only under supervision. He is allowed with me on walks on a leash.

Best trait? Duma is my little gentleman. Except when it's playtime, of course. But he is such a gentleman it is unbelievable.

Worst trait? Since getting him fixed, he doesn't sleep with me the full night anymore, although he's always there when I wake up.

Oh, and the counters thing. I'm guessing it's one way for him to be closer to me (cats that spend too much time on the floor near my feet eventually get stepped on, which isn't happy for either of us). Duma is everywhere, all the time, and he's fast when he wants to be.

alyon

Savannah Kitten
Thank you. And I'm considering one in the future. I found information stating that they are given up quite often by their owners, that they spray fixed or not, and some won't eat cat food, on top of being aggressive. It was not stated whether they were f1s, what type of environment they were in, etc. That is why I am looking for first hand experience. Strong opinions paint vivid one sided pictures

admin

Paige
Staff member
Thank you. And I'm considering one in the future. I found information stating that they are given up quite often by their owners, that they spray fixed or not, and some won't eat cat food, on top of being aggressive. It was not stated whether they were f1s, what type of environment they were in, etc. That is why I am looking for first hand experience. Strong opinions paint vivid one sided pictures

I heard there was a very detrimental article on AOL...is that where you saw that info?

I don't know any Savannah cat that will not eat cat food...many breeders and owners alike prefer to feed raw, but remember...savannahs are cats...my kittens are being fed a combo of raw/dry/canned food...many different breeds eat raw food, so it is not breed specific.

The spraying info can be attributed to any cat - not just hybrids...I wonder if the info you were given was by actual owners or by people who were reporting what they "heard" or were "told"

Julie

Savannah Super Cat

~ my boys were never around children, so they don't like jumpy small humans very much. They don't attack, miracle just hunkers down and cowers, whip will hiss till they leave him alone.

~ 2 f3s, brothers, 2 1/2 years old no spraying issues
Can they go outside?

~ I love my boys, id say worst is they are nosey and pushy, always in your face wanting love. They love you like a dog though, crazy loyal.

Wyldthingz

Savannah Super Cat

Funny about being given up by their owners is that the adoption list for Savannahs is way longer than the supply for available Savannah rescues. I don't know the exact top issues for rehoming Savannahs but I know that aggression and spaying aren't up there on the list. I wonder if this source you found isn't being advocated by some animal activist group? You always need to check your source!

I am a breeder however most of my cats live in the house with us as normal people with kids. I find that they are good with kids if socialized properly (as any pet is). I think they are a bit more resilient to kids than some cats. Savannahs don't get offended as easily. You can step on them accidentally and they don't hide and hold a grudge.

I have attached a photo of one technique for proper socialization with kids. This is my hidden training tool!

Attachments

• kittenqueen.jpg
    kittenqueen.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 37

alyon

Savannah Kitten
Yes, I believe that was AOL. And other articles online as well (including breeder cats being killed during mating, but apart from first hand knowledge, how do you separate fact from fiction?). I know individuals have differing personalities, just trying to feel out the "norm." And I know that domestics spray, my friend was having that issue with hers, my males never sprayed. I was trying to find if these have a greater tendency. I appreciate your responses everyone, thank you