Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Feeding separate?

Charley

Savannah Super Cat
Can I just say my sweet, baby Biz can be a pita? Lol!

He's an over zealous eater and everything is good for him - this much I love but Jengo is picking as heck. He turned his nose up at Wellness today! I've yet to find rhythm or reason to his pickiness. The rule is if Biz won't eat it, it gets returned.

Long and short, Biz eats whatever I put down for the most part if Jenho won't eat it, he'll eat the rest. Jengo want pouches (how I am loathing those expensive pouches) and even if mix thm he won't go near it. Problem - if I feed Jengo anything different Biz gets up in his plate while he's waiting it. Biz also covers the food when he's done preventing Jengo from going back.

I've tried removing the food and making them ask but Jengo will ask, nibble, walk away like every 20 minutes. I want to make sure he's getting enough and that Biz doesn't dump out good food.

My brain is now thinking of feeding Jengo elsewhere so his food stays safe and unburied. If Biz would stop burying or tipping it over we'd have no problem, not sure how to handle this. Plus side Jengo has lost the weight the vet said he should, lol.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
All 4 of my SVs eat in separate areas. Two of them are food aggressive and will steal the other cats' food so they are closed in rooms with doors during mealtimes. One of the others has IBD and is on a restricted diet. Since Jengo is the picky eater, I'd put him a room with his meal for 20 minutes. If he doesn't eat or doesn't eat all of it, that's all he gets until the next meal. He's either truly picky and maybe has some digestive issues, or he's playing you. It's good to feed a variety of quality brands. He'll eat when he's hungry and rest assured that he won't starve himself.

Charley

Savannah Super Cat
Jengo has ALWAYS been picky. Half of the time he will eventually eat it the other half he won't. Him and food have been very frustrating. He doesn't seem to have any digestive issues we've seen just a pita.

Biz on the other hand is a pita in a different way since he has to make a mess and put toys in his food when he's done eating.

I'll definitely be feeding them separately from now on. Thanks for the advice :D I'm sure Jengo will enjoy the quiet time anyway - Biz is still a bit too hyper for him sometimes.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
It sounds like it would be a good idea to designate a special place where Jengo can eat his food in peace. This will hopefully encourage him to eat more, and will give him some peace and quite from the over exuberant Biz.

Just a suggestion - freeze dried chicken is expensive, but I have found that if I crumple just a bit of it over the food it encourages picky eaters to eat more.

Chris Elliott

Savannah Super Cat
Both of our Savannahs are picky eaters, and will often stop eating and then go back to finish. Jax, our mutt of a cat, has been nicknamed Hoover at mealtimes.

Jax eats in a small crate so that they all eat together, yet Jax can't Hoover up all the food. He doesn't mind, even after he finishes his food.

Charley

Savannah Super Cat
For some stupid reason they seem to enjoy eating with other so I'm feeding them in separate areas of the kitchen. This seems to help. I just have to put the food away before Biz destroys it. Jengo did not like being fed in the bathroom.

I'll try the chicken too. He typically likes to eat around whatever treat we've given him, lol. Something smaller like the chicken or dehydrated turkey might do the trick ;)

These two are certainly keeping me sharp lol!