Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Fertility Question

E

ejmgsd

Hi, I'm Ellen and new to this breed, don't even own one yet. I have been told that the males that are F1 - F3's are sterile. I am interested in knowing if most of the same generation females are sterile also or have problems at all in reproducing and/or have smaller litters? Thanks in advance... Ellen, the curious one

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Hi Ellen, F1-F4 males are sterile. There's an occasional odd duck male that is fertile at the F4 but not very fertile - may be a one time thing from what I have heard. Females are all fertile.

E

ejmgsd

Hi Ellen, F1-F4 males are sterile. There's an occasional odd duck male that is fertile at the F4 but not very fertile - may be a one time thing from what I have heard. Females are all fertile.
Thanks so much for the information!I had a theory and wanted to see if it may apply here in this breed , as I thought it did in dogs, but it appears not to apply....Interesting .... Thank you again, I'm sure I will have a lot more questions in the future...if you all don't mind!

admin

Paige
Staff member

This is very true, although some females, especially in the HP range, never conceive...

E

ejmgsd

Ellen, that would be High Percentage, which many of us consider 62.5% and above...
And Paige- that would be the blood going directly back to the original breedings? so somewhat correct in my thinking? just not prone to generations but to the HP within the breeding.....

admin

Paige
Staff member
I am not sure what you mean, Ellen...62.5% would be an F1...and then there are 75% and 87.5% F1's...many are not fertile or rarely fertile and much more serval like in their behavior...MOST savannah breeders do NOT breed for HP F1's...

E

ejmgsd

I am not sure what you mean, Ellen...62.5% would be an F1...and then there are 75% and 87.5% F1's...many are not fertile or rarely fertile and much more serval like in their behavior...MOST savannah breeders do NOT breed for HP F1's...
I guess it's hard to explain on this media Paige....Could you take a cat that is higher, say F5 or so with a "c" rating and breed it to another cat with a "C" rating, would the HP ratio possibly produce 62.5% or higher or is that an impossibility? Again, just trying to get a grip on the genetics here without knowing yet....Need to get my reading materials and such

admin

Paige
Staff member
There is no HP there..HP comes into being bred back to the serval basically...although some breeders claim they have HP F3's and so on...we say that is not really factual, considering one never knows how many serval genes each kitten gets...the only true HP cats are F1's and possibly F2's...

HP F1's are not bred by many because of fertility issues and issues that they behave more like a serval than a savannah - much of what we are trying to avoid...especially in this day and age of AR extremists...