Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

First show stories.

Goody

Savannah Child
I've been avoiding the show bug for years as a groomer. And well, my time has come and I just have to do it. I'm interested to hear your "first show" stories... the good the bad and the ugly. :up:

Trish Allearz

Hmmm...

First show- I brought a Sphynx (I was breeding the nakeds at the tiime). Sphynx breeders are notoriously catty (sorry- I can say that- I spent a lot of time around them!). Anyways, a SV breeder mentioned I had a SV I was intending on breeding- and the Sphynx people avoided me like the plague.

At the end of the show, someone FINALLY asked me, "So you are going to breed your SV to your Sphynx?"

Um- NO. But thanks for asking! They just immediately ASSumed because I was going to crossbreed because there were rumors about some lady somewhere in the world who wanted to.

Maybe that's more of an annoyance story then a horror story. I've really had a wonderful time in the show community- you find the right people to bond with and go from there.

Goody

Savannah Child
See I had concerns after lurking around on forums that taking a Savannah or Bengal to a show might be like that. Is that something that would only be a concern at a CFA show or do you kinda get that vibe at TICA shows as well? Some information I've dug up suggests it both way but most info I can't date. So any account I've read may be dated and may not be very relevant anymore. As someone who would like to start showing it was a little annoying to hear that people reacted that way. I agree.

But on the other hand, this was exactly what I was looking for story wise. Bravo :up:

Kristine

My first show Savannah was extremely shy and hard to show. But, the exhibitors and other cat people tried to help me with him, which was very nice (I love TICA). I think it was my first or second show though when he escaped from a judge, ran off through the show hall, hid in a back room behind a piano and me, Brigitte Cowell, and I think another exhibitor had to spend more than a few minutes getting him out!

Goody

Savannah Child
Oh my gosh v.v I feel bad for both of you. Bad experience on both ends eek! I can't wait to get to a TICA show. I may just make the 2 hour haul this weekend.

Trish Allearz

See I had concerns after lurking around on forums that taking a Savannah or Bengal to a show might be like that. Is that something that would only be a concern at a CFA show or do you kinda get that vibe at TICA shows as well? Some information I've dug up suggests it both way but most info I can't date. So any account I've read may be dated and may not be very relevant anymore. As someone who would like to start showing it was a little annoying to hear that people reacted that way. I agree.

But on the other hand, this was exactly what I was looking for story wise. Bravo :up:
Um, what vibe? LOL. Savannahs are very well accepted in the show hall nowadays!

And you cannot show Bengals or SVs in CFA.

Goody

Savannah Child
Well you said you where showing sphynx at a show so I wasn't sure if it was a TICA show or a CFA show since you didn't specify. By vibe I mean it sounds like they where not to welcoming to you because they though you intended to breed your cats. I've read that there are some opposing opinions on showing hybrids (and owning them). It was just a slight concern I had so I wanted to ask someone who had first hand experience. :up:

I have a plethora of somewhat annoying questions that I can't find answers to through deep google searches :)

admin

Paige
Staff member
I have edited this thread title since it was a bit inflammatory...why would you want to hear horror stories?

Goody

Savannah Child
Well I guess you could have said embarrassing stories instead? I guess that's what I meant. Just for entertainment and kind of like telling ghost stories on a camping trip. I was just interested in hearing some experiences from other owners. I didn't mean anything inflammatory (or angering) by it.