Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Fixing my F6

ayek8

Savannah Kitten
I have heard that some Savannah's don't do well with anesthesia. Is there anything I should be concerned about / I should tell the vet? Would there be any reason I *shouldn't* get my girl fixed?

We briefly had thought about having kittens, but I think that it would end up being too costly, and then we'd have kittens that we needed to find homes for!

As a side note, my F6 Savannah will be 1 in April.

Thanks for your help!

-Kate

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
If you don't breed her and don't get her spayed she is at risk for pyometra and mammary tumors. And then there are the issues of living with an intact female who may spray urine all around the house.

There are anecdotal reports that some savannahs have adverse reactions to the anesthesia ketamine such as hallucinations, permanent personality changes, lasting physical disabilities and death. For that reason I didn't want to take the chance that one of mine would be susceptible and chose, along with my vet, another form of anesthesia. And I have it noted on their medical charts in big red letters that ketamine is never to be used.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Agree with Deborah, although the ketamine issue isn't related just to Savannahs, but to any breed of cat. There are alternative induction agents such as propofol and dormitor that don't produce the side effects that ketamine can cause.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Isoflurane or related gas is almost always used as far as I know, the injectable is a pre- anesthetic used to make the overall experience easier. Agents such as propofol are usually much better tolerated than ketamine.

T

The Kasbah

I have heard that some Savannah's don't do well with anesthesia. Is there anything I should be concerned about / I should tell the vet? Would there be any reason I *shouldn't* get my girl fixed?

We briefly had thought about having kittens, but I think that it would end up being too costly, and then we'd have kittens that we needed to find homes for!

As a side note, my F6 Savannah will be 1 in April.

Thanks for your help!

-Kate
I am NOT a fan of Ketamine...so would use a vet who doesn't use it. I had a SUPER bad experience wiht KEtamine some years back and really warn people against it's use every chance I get. That aside, please DO get her spayed as quickly as possible...at close to one year of age, you are getting into dangerous territory, with heat cycling (if not bred the possiblity of Pyo, which can be life threatening) and the sheer fact that she may start spraying (marking) in your home.

Eddies

Eddies a ham!
If your not breeding you should be spaying...my vet agreed in writing in red ink as well for all my fur babies... No Ketamine. No sense increasing the risks.