Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Flying with SV kitten tips??

BlackLabelKim

Savannah Super Cat
Today is the day!! We will be at Drink Water to pick up our baby girl this afternoon. The hotel where we're staying allows pets so we'll just hang out this evening and play/love on her. Tomorrow morning we board the plane to come home.

Our other F1 we flew with, but it was a very short flight and he did really well. This time we have a 3.5hr flight, a layover, and another 1.5hr flight. Any tips for flying with kitten on board? I have a soft side carrier, unscented babywipes and her ticket/health docs. Do I need anything else?

admin

Paige
Staff member
Today is the day!! We will be at Drink Water to pick up our baby girl this afternoon. The hotel where we're staying allows pets so we'll just hang out this evening and play/love on her. Tomorrow morning we board the plane to come home.

Our other F1 we flew with, but it was a very short flight and he did really well. This time we have a 3.5hr flight, a layover, and another 1.5hr flight. Any tips for flying with kitten on board? I have a soft side carrier, unscented babywipes and her ticket/health docs. Do I need anything else?

I have not flown with a cat, but one of my kittens recently flew with his new owners tot he Netherlands...I gave them some of his fave canned food, some dry food, a throwaway litterbox for any layover, etc. We used some Nutricalm, which is herbal the day before they flew back and the next morning and he was not stressed out at all...and they had a very long wait in the airport prior to takeoff...

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I've flown twice with kittens. I lined the carrier with a pee pad and took a few extra with me to keep things fresh. I also put a small toy in the carrier and each one played with the toy. During the layovers I sat near windows so they could see outside and they seemed fascinated by the activity. When they got restless, I'd walk around a bit and they would settle down. The hardest part was getting through security. I always asked for a private room rather than holding them while going through the scanner. You have to be kind of tough with the security folks because they got really excited about the kittens and wanted to pet & play with them but the kittens were scared spitless being handled by strangers and I didn't want them traumatized.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
When I've flown with kittens, they generally were used to a walking jacket...this makes it all much easier. You can hook your finger through the ring on the jacket to take through security and then if they flip out (a large startling noise) you can keep hold of them that way rather than a squirming desperate kitten body. Maybe Doreen has one you can borrow? Also this makes layovers and delays more manageable. Most airports will even have a "pet relief area", it's usually just outside the airport doors and mainly used for doggies but it is usually enclosed and so I will take the kitten there on a leash so they can stretch their legs etc. And then in the terminal, if I find a quieter place to sit I can let them out of the carrier on a leash. Which you aren't supposed to do, but until someone tells you to put them back in... and I don't think anyone ever has told me to do that. It's great if you can source a foldable litterbox and take a little baggy of litter, I usually have that in my bag because when you have a layover you can also have flight delays and cancellations and all sorts of disasters. So taking a can of food or a little bag of kibble is also a good idea, depending on what the kitten eats.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I've actually had security make me take off a walking jacket once to inspect it, but now they just pat it down (I kid you not)! I've also been told to put my cat back in the carrier, or else - that was at Southwest... :-( The two pet relief areas I've checked out at airports have been so noisy I was afraid to take my kitten out. So now I look for an available Family Restroom and use that to let the kitten(s) out to stretch their legs, potty, or whatever...

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I was once told to take off the jacket and I looked him in the eye and said "if you want to risk the lawsuit I file when my kitten wriggles out of my arms and goes missing in your airport...." and he decided I didn't have to take it off. The jacket ring alone does not set off the metal detector after all. But they do now require you to hold the kitten and then one hand at a time for them to wipe your hands to detect explosives...silly people don't want you to put your cat back in the carrier until they do that!

BlackLabelKim

Savannah Super Cat
We made it safely home yesterday with our baby girl! Doreen/Drink Water is just lovely and we enjoyed our visit so much.

We had planned on naming her Avalon, but had a little "identity crisis" and we decided instead that she is Siri! She is without a doubt the sweetest kitten I've ever owned (pound kitties or SV) Within hours of being home she is a purring, headbutting, adorable bundle of fur. Our other F1 and even F6 was/is not this lovey.

The flight was pretty uneventful. Security went smoothly (only had three people ask if that was a Savannah). She slept a good part of the two flights, but hated (and rightfully so) the RUN from gate 20 to gave 92 in the Denver Airport. So she threw a bit of a fit in her carrier wanting to get out. It is comical to see people's faces when they hear a kitten meowing in the airport....
Siri1.jpg

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Cutie! Glad the trip went well... if you think it funny to watch people's faces with a meow, consider their faces when a quiet kitten starts throwing herself around in the carrier and ROLLS it along the floor! And most don't even realize it is a pet carrier so to them it is just someone's bag coming to live! LOL!

Name changes happen, I like to have a list ready for when a kitten arrives to test out which works best in person... often when you meet them it is obvious that the name you chose is just not quite right :) Welcome Siri!

Reactions: Sue