Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

food suggestions to try?

Nabi

Kitten Fury
That was my thought too, Paige!

Nabi, has the kitten had the runny poops since you got him? That really is concerning as chronic diarrhea can lead to a kitten/cat developing IBD...so worth checking out sooner rather than later. I'd advise taking to the vet and starting with a fecal float... they may see parasites or bacteria which would be treatable. If nothing is seen, I'd request they send a fecal sample to IDEXX to do a PCR test for gastrointestinal pathogens. Many vets are unfamiliar with this testing as it is relatively new but is the best way to detect things like tritrichomonas which can cause chronic diarrhea. Best to rule out infectious causes before assuming it is diet-related.

When any of my cats/kittens have had diarrhea, my vet always recommends putting on a boiled chicken and rice diet...it's the blandest solution and can really help their little systems to settle (unless of course they are allergic to chicken!). Given them a couple weeks to settle before assuming it isn't working. Many have found adding fiber (like canned pumpkin or psyllium husk) to the diet helps too...

I have actually been planning to take him to the vet. He was at the vet, right before they shipped NAbi to me. I was going to wait until 6 months before doing a checkup, along with the neuter. However, I should go get this inspected for parasites/bacteria. Now my other question, I know they're are many vets and some are good and many not so good. Does anyone happen to live in SoCal or have a website that can refer good vets, besides "Yelp".
Thanks for all the info and look forward to being a member of this community.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
There are folk on here from SoCal so hopefully they will give you options. You might want to be a little more specific as someone in LA might not want to drive to San Diego! I know of a great vet in La Mesa for example...

To me, loose stools warrants a vet visit... it's not a "checkup", there is something going on with your kitten that needs to be addressed. The vet visit before he was shipped, was the loose stool issue reported and tested for then maybe?

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Hello, I have a Kitten Savannah (born April 1st) He has been having the runny/wet poos. My breeder used proplan for kittens, he still had it with the original formula. I slowly transitioned him to the All natural pro plan, and he still has the issue. Any recommendations? I just want him to have happy/healthy :poop:
Thanks for any suggestions!
I would recommend you PCR test him for GI infections. Are the poos exceptionally stinky or just runny? If the PCR comes back negative then you might want to try him on a hairball or sensitive stomach diet as they usually are higher in fiber.

Nabi

Kitten Fury
Found a vet with great reviews, so going to set something up. Another question I have. If he is having runny :poop: from the food. Should I mix the new food with the old stuff as a transition like normally? Or would it matter, since the old food is not giving him healthy stools in the first place.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I think Brigitte's suggestion of boiled chicken and rice is an excellent idea, in which case you should not have to transition him but can start him on immediately. However, any subsequent diet you decide to put him on should be transitioned to.