Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Grooming tools

D

Dantes

What does everyone use to groom their Savannahs?

I have a ton of tools for Ragdolls hehe but none of them seem to do much for Duma. Not even the zoom groom.

Yesterday I was wearing an off-white shirt...when I came home, we did our usual greeting, but when I put him down my shirt was covered in brown and tan little beard-like cat hairs lol No way they were Dante's, his are so long and delicate, oh, and blue/white. I'm guessing the recent "heat" wave (the 3 days of 70 degree weather we had in SF last week) is causing Duma to shed?

D

Dantes

I use the furminator for serious grooming and a short-bristled brush for social grooming.
Which furminator do you use? The one I have--it's a few years old, and was a gift--doesn't seem to do much on any cat for me.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
This one. Loosens up the undercoat pretty well. I always have tumbleweed sized balls 'o fur blowing around the yard after I use it.

Attachments

• 300.jpg
    300.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 9
D

Dantes

On a side note, I do have this tool...not sure what it's called, but it looks like one of those things that you use on horses to get the water off. I used it last night and it seemed to work, but I'm a little worried that it might be too harsh?

Oh, here is something like it:

D

Dantes

This one. Loosens up the undercoat pretty well. I always have tumbleweed sized balls 'o fur blowing around the yard after I use it.
Thanks! Looks just like mine (only mine's blue). I'll try again.

admin

Paige
Staff member
On a side note, I do have this tool...not sure what it's called, but it looks like one of those things that you use on horses to get the water off. I used it last night and it seemed to work, but I'm a little worried that it might be too harsh?

Oh, here is something like it:

I used this one on my MC, but I think it is a bit harsh for a savannah cat because of their short fur.

D

Dantes

I used this one on my MC, but I think it is a bit harsh for a savannah cat because of their short fur.
Thanks, that's kinda what I was thinking...although he didn't complain. Could be that he's just a good boy :D

K

Kronos

The zoom groom works great on Kronos for me, I wonder why it doesn't work on Duma for you? Hmm.. and furminator works great on Coco and Solo (they have lots of undercoat) and Kronos doesn't have undercoat so the furminator does nothing on him.

D

Dantes

The zoom groom works great on Kronos for me, I wonder why it doesn't work on Duma for you? Hmm.. and furminator works great on Coco and Solo (they have lots of undercoat) and Kronos doesn't have undercoat so the furminator does nothing on him.
Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

I just tried again with Duma and got quite a bit of his little hairs out of him, he's feeling a bit silkier now ;) But it took a really long time. Holding him down with one hand while combing him with the furminator didn't leave a 3rd hand to empty it every few minutes lol.

Tried again on Ragdoll fur and got nothing. Could it be lack of undercoat?

Need to go look up your how to video on grooming :cool: Maybe a special furminator section is warranted? :drink: