Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Growth rates- sorry for a bazillion posts!

mandyloo

Savannah Super Cat
Like I said, I've been stalking for awhile so I had a few things to ask. ☺

Here's the last one for a minute...

I know Mango will not reach full size until she's 3 years old, and she will be 1 this month. I would expect the growth rate to be the largest in year one, but im curious what I can expect over the next 24 months?

Perhaps a 50% increase over current size? I'd love it if she doubled again ☺

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Like I said, I've been stalking for awhile so I had a few things to ask. ☺

Here's the last one for a minute...

I know Mango will not reach full size until she's 3 years old, and she will be 1 this month. I would expect the growth rate to be the largest in year one, but im curious what I can expect over the next 24 months?

Perhaps a 50% increase over current size? I'd love it if she doubled again ☺

As you say, the most growth occurs during the first year. She may grow a bit taller the second year and then fill out some during the third year, but it's not likely you'll say anywhere near the growth you've seen during that first year.

Becki

Savannah Super Cat
Mango is such a cute name! I don't think I have seen Nyah grow much in the up category after 1, if at all. What she did do this year is fill out and became a cat versus looking like a kitten, if that makes sense.

Kovu, who will be 1 the middle of June, is still growing up but the rate has definitely slowed down. He is still lanky and leggy, but I have noticed his little face is starting to look more catlike. It will be interesting to see how his second year shapes up as really hasn't filled out much at all!

mandyloo

Savannah Super Cat
Yes, I've started to notice she is filling out. Thicker neck, more bunted head....that's a shame though. I'd have liked to see a hit more height on her.

We wanted to name her Manga, swahili for traveler as she goes camping with us a lot. But my girls heard it as Mango and that's just what it was from then on out. ☺

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
my Loki boy is an f5 and is 5 1/2 months old he was 9.5lbs a month ago and his harness has already needed to be let out 2 notches since then. He is approximately the size of a year old typical cat. he is twice the size of his litter mates who are both male and females. he's a big kitten but for all we know he could have just grown quickly and will stay about the same. Or he could sprout up like a weed and keep growing much bigger. From what I've seen is most kittens do most all around growing in first year then bone density builds with a little more growth the second year, then muscular development finishes up in the 3rd year. Just like others have mentioned previously. It varies from kitten to kitten. it's like comparing years to phases of human growth. but you'll notice more sleeping and some tubbiness before a growth spurt. I am going through one right now with Loki.

"Those who wander aren't always lost"

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
I love the name! And camping kitty? Oh I bet she loves it plenty of scratching posts ;)

"Those who wander aren't always lost"

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I've seen an inch or two more in height after a year old but the most growth you see is really the filling out of the body as they mature. Some cats can surprise you but I don't think I've heard of cats doubling in size from one year to three years of age...