Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Hairball or Something Else?

MattM

Savannah Super Cat
I have a 6 month old F3 Savannah that is scheduled to be neutered next week. I plan on transitioning him to a raw food diet starting tomorrow. Since I have had him, he has had maybe about five incidences of what looked like to me to be hairballs. He basically would try to cough something up, but nothing would come up. I never thought it was anything more than a hairball.

This morning when my Savannah, Leo, woke up this morning he went to his dish very groggy, drank some water, and then threw it back up a few steps later. His vomit was extremely clear, so I don't think there was much of anything else in it. He has never actually vommited anything up until now. After that incident, he became his normal hyper self, running around and being a crazy kitten. I don't see any evidence of diarrhea.

Is this something I should call my vet about before I take him in for his big operation?

Kristine

Yes, I would let the vet know prior to the neuter. It may be something completely benign (does he have access to cat grass or other feline safe plants?) but it is always better to err on the side of caution.

MattM

Savannah Super Cat
No cat grass or feline safe plants. Is that a fiber source to reduce hairballs?

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Matt...If he'll eat a raw egg yolk, it will help hairballs pass more easily. Definitely mention the episodes to the vet because it could have an impact on sedation.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I think it worth mentioning to your vet definitely, I'm a fan of giving them too much info rather than too little.

Cat grass does let them purge their stomachs so can be useful... just messy... You can get Petromalt paste and similar things at the pet store that are designed to help a cat pass hairballs easier also...