Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Hard Lesson Learned

Trish Allearz

Hi Guys,

So as some of you know from Facebook yesterday-- our gorgeous F5 kitten, Darling, passed away in her momma's home yesterday.

Her Momma had Darling in quarantine in one of her kid's room (I have no problem with this-- it gives the kitten safety, security and playtime with a kid-- their favorite toy!) When she ran the kids to school, her daughter forgot to latch the door and a household dog entered the room over a baby gate and killed Darling :( We don't know what really happened besides the obvious and everyone is heartbroken about the situation and there is no blame to be assigned. (I'll restate before anyone goes on a tangent-- an accident is an accident and if you've never had one, well-- you are not quite human.)

Yet, I look at this tragedy as a lesson that needs to be restated time and time again.

I just wanted to take a moment and talk kitten safety. Please remember, when your breeder tells you to quarantine-- it's not just to ensure your kitten is healthy, but it is also to ensure the other members of the household accept/adapt to a newcomer in their midst. In this situation, the dog had shown no signs of cat aggression so the owner could not have known the end of this story, BUT if you have a dog-- please make sure you watch his body language/temperament around your new kitten. If for any reason, whatsoever, your gut tells you the dog needs more time to adjust to a feline in his company (or this specific feline), please follow your gut. No amount of cute kitten time outside of quarantine can mitigate your feelings of guilt if you overlook signs that your dog may cause harm to your baby.

In the end, this is a horrific accident and tears were shed all over the country for our baby girl yesterday. But let's also learn from this accident too and remember-- it's OKAY to take it slow introducing family members. And to always, always be alert to signs of aggression between the family dog and the family cats. Dogs are dogs-- they don't always know their strength and cats are more fragile than we would like to believe as cat lovers.

Rest in peace, my sweet girl...

Attachments

• Darling1117.jpg
    Darling1117.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 28
T

The Kasbah

Oh Trish, that is beyond tragic and my heart goes out to you and the new owners. Accidents DO happen to the very best of us and we can only hope that things like this are isolated incidents. I am so very sorry to hear this terrible news.

xoxoxo

Hi Guys,

So as some of you know from Facebook yesterday-- our gorgeous F5 kitten, Darling, passed away in her momma's home yesterday.

Her Momma had Darling in quarantine in one of her kid's room (I have no problem with this-- it gives the kitten safety, security and playtime with a kid-- their favorite toy!) When she ran the kids to school, her daughter forgot to latch the door and a household dog entered the room over a baby gate and killed Darling :( We don't know what really happened besides the obvious and everyone is heartbroken about the situation and there is no blame to be assigned. (I'll restate before anyone goes on a tangent-- an accident is an accident and if you've never had one, well-- you are not quite human.)

Yet, I look at this tragedy as a lesson that needs to be restated time and time again.

I just wanted to take a moment and talk kitten safety. Please remember, when your breeder tells you to quarantine-- it's not just to ensure your kitten is healthy, but it is also to ensure the other members of the household accept/adapt to a newcomer in their midst. In this situation, the dog had shown no signs of cat aggression so the owner could not have known the end of this story, BUT if you have a dog-- please make sure you watch his body language/temperament around your new kitten. If for any reason, whatsoever, your gut tells you the dog needs more time to adjust to a feline in his company (or this specific feline), please follow your gut. No amount of cute kitten time outside of quarantine can mitigate your feelings of guilt if you overlook signs that your dog may cause harm to your baby.

In the end, this is a horrific accident and tears were shed all over the country for our baby girl yesterday. But let's also learn from this accident too and remember-- it's OKAY to take it slow introducing family members. And to always, always be alert to signs of aggression between the family dog and the family cats. Dogs are dogs-- they don't always know their strength and cats are more fragile than we would like to believe as cat lovers.

Rest in peace, my sweet girl...

NikkiA

Site Supporter
I am so sorry. I can only imagine how you and Darling's new family are feeling. Thank you for posting this- sometimes it is easy to forget how easily accidents can happen. Hopefully your post will help save another life.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
That is heartbreaking Trish, I am sooo sorry. You can never anticipate these freak incidents :cry:

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
I have been very sad since yesterday when I learned of this tragedy. I just cannot fathom how I could continue if that happened to one of my kids. So very sad. My love and comfort to you Trish. and to Darling's new family too. HUGS to all.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
I am very saddened to hear of this :( RIP, dear Darling....I'm so sorry, Trish.

In her heartbreak and grief, Trish does raise some very good points about quarantine...it's not always about keeping a new baby away from other pets because of concerns for illnesses that might be passed back and forth, and to ensure bonding correctly to the new humans...but to be absolutely sure the other pets...especially dogs inside the home....are introduced gradually AND with adult supervision, and being absolutely sure the dogs are going to accept and be okay with the new kitten....accidents CAN and DO happen when we least expect them....

karenlynn79

Site Supporter
Oh my gosh I am so sad to hear this! We brought Darling up with us when we got our boy Zyon (her bro) from Trish 2 weeks ago Saturday and she was a big sweetie in the car, and a complete maniac goofball as soon as we got home with her. My kids had a blast playing with her for an hour before her new family came for her. That truly is a tragic accident and she was a great little girl.

Trish Allearz

Oh my gosh I am so sad to hear this! We brought Darling up with us when we got our boy Zyon (her bro) from Trish 2 weeks ago Saturday and she was a big sweetie in the car, and a complete maniac goofball as soon as we got home with her. My kids had a blast playing with her for an hour before her new family came for her. That truly is a tragic accident and she was a great little girl.
Darling was really loved in her short time here :( She was a wonderful baby girl.

I know she's gone, but it's hard to believe.

Give Zyon kisses for me. Lots of kisses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk