Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

hello cat behavor

chris07

Savannah Adult
hi,

I was wondering if the behavor of my f2 is normal when is around any type of food.
When is eating if you get close to him he become agressive and look and sound like a savage cat.
Like a dog when you take is bone.

When there is no food involve he is a good cat and bahave normaly.

My female f3 behave like a normal with or with out food,

So is this a male thing.....

Thanks

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Perfectly normal. Three of my 4 will growl when approached while eating. When they were kittens, I made sure to pet them while they were doing it so they would get used to the idea that I would not try to take their food.

chris07

Savannah Adult
Perfectly normal. Three of my 4 will growl when approached while eating. When they were kittens, I made sure to pet them while they were doing it so they would get used to the idea that I would not try to take their food.
thanks! i feel better i got Charlie at 8 month old and i was surprise when i first say is reaction.

Thanks again my girl freind will be happy too ear this..

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Hi Chris, and welcome! Food aggression can occur with any cat breed. I have an 8 year old male neutered Ocicat that is very food aggressive. I don't want to get near him when he is eating and neither do my other cats, lol. The noises he makes and the claws-extended behaviors he does are pretty scary! I have not noticed this in any of my girls.

How old is your F2 boy? If he is young yet...between 3 and 8 months old, he may be going through a growth spurt, in which case this should pass with time...

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Most cats (of any breed as Pam pointed out) will grow out of the worst of their food aggression behavior, although some take longer than others. It may also be because your boy was rehomed at a later age it intensified his food aggression as he is in a new environment and still needs to learn that he is completely safe there.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Zuri is 4 years old and when eating raw food or whole prey, will growl loudly and everyone knees to stay away...

chris07

Savannah Adult
Hi Chris, and welcome! Food aggression can occur with any cat breed. I have an 8 year old male neutered Ocicat that is very food aggressive. I don't want to get near him when he is eating and neither do my other cats, lol. The noises he makes and the claws-extended behaviors he does are pretty scary! I have not noticed this in any of my girls.

How old is your F2 boy? If he is young yet...between 3 and 8 months old, he may be going through a growth spurt, in which case this should pass with time...

Hi Pam , Charlie is 9 month old and I got him 2 month ago. And yes I believe that you are wright , a new house and new people probably .

Thanks again.:)

hi,

I was wondering if the behavor of my f2 is normal when is around any type of food.
When is eating if you get close to him he become agressive and look and sound like a savage cat.
Like a dog when you take is bone.

When there is no food involve he is a good cat and bahave normaly.

My female f3 behave like a normal with or with out food,

So is this a male thing.....

Thanks

My F5 kitten (5-6 months) growls when eating and when he has a particular toy, regardless if anyone or any other animal is nearby. We even put him in a powder room with door closed to see if this would release his "anxiety" and it changed nothing. He was 4 months when we got him, and the only cat (only animal) in the home for a month before we got our F4 girl. She isn't like that at all. He often pushes her away from her food, and she will just walk across the kitchen to the food he abandoned to get to hers. She is playing his game.
He has been very docile otherwise. Although the last two weeks we've treated some gastrointestinal issues we thought he may have, after ruling out so many other things with tests, and he is a different cat. He is playing a lot more, and that play, can at times, be too aggressive, and scares my kids. He never played with his claws before, but does now. Trimming his claws was a walk in the park. Last two weeks, a nightmare. Hoping this newfound energy will be re directed.
8569fbd7916148958cafe9d46a4b034f.jpg
b233735d36bfea6d63396e7e6eb1f6f3.jpg

My Yin Yang cats Miš and Nevolja

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
That growling with a toy is harmless. Mayhem would do that with a tug o war toy. No discipline needed.
Sadly, he doesn't do it any more.