Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Hey hey!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Definitely get a carrier, or even better a crate that can fit food, water, and litterbox if you have a seven hour drive. You do NOT want a cat freaking out in the car, and you don't want him peeing on the floor either. Just be sure to have blankets available to cover the crate or carrier, which will help him feel more secure. This doesn't mean that you can't try holding him on your lap (or whoever is NOT driving) for part of the drive, just have a plan B in place for when it doesn't work anymore...

John Popp

Site Supporter
I had forgotten about Chongo pushing the remote buttons on the driver seat while I was driving when I had him out of the carrier. Three lanes of rush hour traffic to cut across, getting pushed closer to the steering wheel with the seatbelt trying to push my guts through my tonsils and scared to death that he would crush himself. That was the last time he took a ride outside the carrier and he will not be free roaming any more inside a vehicle.

Last edited:

Sue

Savannah Super Cat
Small carrier on the passenger's lap. I used a soft sided carrier and had the top unzipped so that I could pet her on the 1.5 hour drive home. Sue

Joey U

Savannah Teenager
another question, my gf has a hamster, will it be okay for them to be in the same room as a kitten or is the kittens immune system not ready yet. Or, is the sv just going to make a meal out of the hamster?

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Welllllllllllllll, I personally wouldn't leave the kitten & hamster unsupervised. Hamster looks too much like a fun toy to take the chance. And if you're going to feed a raw or whole prey diet to the cat, wellllllllllll, then the hamster's name could become Snacky. If you have a kitten proof cage for the hamster, no problem.

John Popp

Site Supporter
I just found an image of what your cat changes into when he gets a little hungry and sees a hamster.

tumblr_mhi14jimVB1rwjj9eo1_500.gif